Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96" upgrade to 103"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultra 2008
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96" upgrade to 103"

I have a stock 2008 FLHTCU with the SE A/C, V&H Ovals and the SEPST and am starting a build next week to increase the CU to 103" with 10.0:1 pistons and the SE 259E cams. Build will include SE Tapered Adjustable Push Rods and SE Race Valve Springs.

Has anyone had any experience with this combination, or heard of anyone that has?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am running the same build. If you look at the SE Race book, you should consider 10.5:1 compression pistons and install compression releases. Use your cyclnders and bore them out (save$). Plan your build and don't rush it. JMO

C. SCR EAM IN’ EAGLE PRO
STAG E III KIT – 103 CUBIC INCHes *
This 103 bolt on kit is designed to provide increased performance
enhancements at an attractive price range that will
work with your Original Equipment heads. Kit includes 3-7/8"
diameter highlighted cylinders, forged aluminum 10.5:1
compression ratio pistons, an SE259E cam supported by
high performance valve springs along with the appropriate
Perfect-Fit Pushrods and gasket kit. In addition kit includes
our “must have” EFI Super Tuner to provide the correct
calibration for appropriate tuning abilities. For race application
only.
Fits ’07-later Twin Cam equipped models. Also fits ’99-’06
Twin Cam models equipped with 4-5/8" stroker flywheels.
27513-08A Black. $1,499.95
27514-08A Silver. $1,499.95
C. SCR EAM IN’ EAG LE PRO STAG E III KIT – 103 CUB IC INCHes
B. SCR EAM IN’ EAG LE PRO STAG E IV KIT – 103 CUB IC INCHes (’07-later Dyna and Softail Shown)
(Shown wi th Op tional Automatic Compressi on Rele ases )
NOTICE: Installation of automatic or manual compression
releases on large displacement engines is highly recommended.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression release for sure! Do it now or you will probably do it later at greater cost.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the same build with the 259e cams glad i put the mcr in when the build was done. and i went with 10.5.1 compresion ratio also i put adjustables push rods with forged pistons.on my 2009 flhx and tuned it bike rips and iam very pleased witht the build. good performance rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm and pulls hard between 2200 rpm to about 5600 to 5800 rpm u will love the performance on this build.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 AM
cuzkee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same build with 259e cams on my 2010 FLHX and love it. I added a port and polish to the heads. While my bike was torn apart, I added manual compression releases, since my compression is now 10.5:1. It's cheap to do it now, and from what i hear, I may save you a starter down the road.

Performance is great. A buddy rode mine and wants his done the same way.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Ultra 2008
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the come back/information. I inquired about the possibility of needing either the ACR or MCR's on this build and the mechanic/tuner that will be doing the work also has this build on his bike and states that the CR's are not necessary and suggests against their installation. Since this has no monetary implications for him, I went along with his suggestion.

Build has not started as yet, probably will sometime next week as we are waiting until ALL the parts are in so he can install in one day.

Given the input here I plan to approach the subject with him again tomorrow (closed Sundays/Mondays until first of June).

Thanks again to all that provided input. Really appreciate you guys on questions like this.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
streetclyde
Advanced

I did the SE stage 3 and added manual CRs and had my heads ported and flowed. Kit came with perfect fit push rods which are a little quieter over adjustables.Kit also came with 10.5.1 pistons and a heavier clutch spring for the added torque.As far as the CRs go it starts ok when its cold but on a hot day and the motor is still hot I can tell it starts a lot harder but I put alot of miles on my bikes,so its just added insurance.IF my street glide was not under warranty I would probably went Andrews gear drive cams which is what I will be doing a couple years down the road.I think the heads made a huge difference also.What ever you do it will be a improvement over stock.Enjoy!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many people go wrong going against their builder, but (IMO) if you don't do the 10.5:1 pistons with that cam, you will be losing a ton on the bottom end. If you ride at the redline all day, you might be happy, but the intake closing at 47* will hurt your low end torque. That's why your builder said compression releases wouldn't be necessary.... You won't have enough cylinder pressure to cause a problem. That's the reason they are packaged with that 10.5:1 kit.

Good luck either way.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Panomine
Intermediate

does anyone have a dyno comparison on this conversion vs stock? Thinking about doing the same on my '08 RoadGlide

Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
bagger76
Tourer

I wished you would have done the releases,I went with the acr's and my buddy decided not to install them He is going to need a starter real soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 96" upgrade to 103"