Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Would like to restart this thread as I'm in need of some help on this.

2005 FLHRSI Road King Custom

Bought some of these yesterday thinking they would fit ... Bolt holes matched up just fine.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...20-57400146--1

Well it turns out I have the Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit installed which means that these deflectors won't fit around the turn signals.

Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?-69227-04a.jpg

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-11-6981806--1

In researching this thread and other ones, I see that HD makes this set as well ...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...wind-deflector

My RK is not in the fitment list even though it APPEARS that these deflectors will work with the lighting bracket that I have.

Anyone know if the bolt pattern on these is standard and I might be in luck with these? Don't wanna order yet another set and have them not fit either.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

-c

Old 01-25-2016, 01:21 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I love the function of these but DAMN they are ugly! I think I would rather pay for the full lowers that put those on my bike, just can't do it. But hey that's what's great about our bikes, you do what you want to them.
Hard lowers are worse than nothing. The soft, engine guard lowers are better but to stop the air from under the tank fork mounted deflectors work.
My forks are black and so are deflectors. I don't see them anymore and i'm less of a bobble head when I have to wear a helmet.
They are on the bike in the photo below

Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

I bought a cheap angle grinder from harbor freight and a cut off wheel. marked an area on the top edge of each deflector and made simple straight line cuts. kept them close to the turn signals. the cut outs are not really noticeable unless pointed out. the deflectors are ugly as sin (in my opinion!!) but they stop the buffeting and make the ride more enjoyable. I think these are stainless steel, so they are pretty tough cutting. but you can modify them to make them work.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 AM
crabio
Tourer

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I bought a cheap angle grinder from harbor freight and a cut off wheel. marked an area on the top edge of each deflector and made simple straight line cuts. kept them close to the turn signals. the cut outs are not really noticeable unless pointed out. the deflectors are ugly as sin (in my opinion!!) but they stop the buffeting and make the ride more enjoyable. I think these are stainless steel, so they are pretty tough cutting. but you can modify them to make them work.
Thanks Spartan ... any chance you have some pictures of your work?

And I agree ... they are ugly but I rode with them for 15 years on my metric and it's night and day difference.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 957 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by crabio
Thanks Spartan ... any chance you have some pictures of your work?

And I agree ... they are ugly but I rode with them for 15 years on my metric and it's night and day difference.
When I got my 2011 Street Glide, the first things I wanted were passing lamps and chrome lowers. As you've learned, as they come from HD, you can have one or the other but not both.
So...I figured a way to make them work, and they work and look fine. Assume we're talking about the right side of the bike. I lined the lower up so that the curved surface of the top of the lower almost touched the bottom of the turn signal. I then marked the lower at a point where a hole drilled in it would line up with the bottom mounting bolt of the light bar. I mounted the lower only at that point, but just for good measure, I applied some silicone on the mounting surface.

They've been on for a long time and quite a few miles with no problem. Let me know if you want pics.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM
crabio
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
When I got my 2011 Street Glide, the first things I wanted were passing lamps and chrome lowers. As you've learned, as they come from HD, you can have one or the other but not both.
So...I figured a way to make them work, and they work and look fine. Assume we're talking about the right side of the bike. I lined the lower up so that the curved surface of the top of the lower almost touched the bottom of the turn signal. I then marked the lower at a point where a hole drilled in it would line up with the bottom mounting bolt of the light bar. I mounted the lower only at that point, but just for good measure, I applied some silicone on the mounting surface.

They've been on for a long time and quite a few miles with no problem. Let me know if you want pics.
Uncle Peepers,

Man, if you have pictures, that sounds like it could very well solve my problem. I'm not a machinist but I can damn sure drill a hole! Please post them if you have them

Old 01-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Buckeye71
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out www.jescustomaccents.com

They are expensive but they worked great on my 2013 FLHX with lowers and passing lamps without any interference.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:34 PM
crabio
Tourer

Originally Posted by Buckeye71
Check out www.jescustomaccents.com

They are expensive but they worked great on my 2013 FLHX with lowers and passing lamps without any interference.
Thanks Buckeye ... and yea. OUCH! They must be really proud of their stuff LOL

Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by hoz88
Has anybody figured out how to make the chrome fork mounted wind deflectors work on a street glide? I know they won't work with the stock setup because of the bullet style signals, so I'm hoping somebody has found a signal remount kit or something else so the deflectors can be used. I just remember what a difference they made on my old RK and would really like to see it they would do the same on the glide.
I don't understand why they won't work on a Street Glide. I put these http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...20-57400146--1 on my 2010 FLHXSE. Are the front signals on the standard or pre '09 SG different? According to the Harley site "Fits ’95-later FLHR, FLHRC and FLHRS, ’14 FLHRSE '95-'13 FLHT, FLHTC, FLHX, and FLHXS. Does not fit models equipped with Fairing Lowers. Does not fit ’95-’13 models equipped with Lighted Fork Slider Kit or Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit P/N 69227-04A or 68000043." For what it's worth, I took mine off after my first ride. 75 degrees, stop and go traffic on the freeway around Tucson and my bike went into "limp" mode. Only time that has happened and I've ridden in much hotter conditions so I decided to remove them. They may not have been the reason for the hot engine but I can't think of any other reason and I wasn't particularly fond of the look with them on anyway. I still have them but don't think I'll be putting them back on.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 957 Likes on 442 Posts

Here are a couple of pics. The unused hole below the lower bolt could be easily covered with a chrome cap if you liked. Personally, I didnt' think it was noticeable enough. I'll tell you, though, looking at the ones for jescustoms, the look like the older style HD lowers. True, they are expensive, but they might work even better.

Attached Thumbnails Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?-sam_0126.jpg   Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?-sam_0124.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?