Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:25 PM
gjearne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn signal wiring stays where it is. loosen top bolt on signal mount take bottom bolt out. top hole on deflector is slotted .slip it up around top bolt behind signal mount & install bottom bolt through hole in deflector and re tighten both. done. don't know about fittment w/ lowers on. dont have them on my bike. all I know is these got rid of the buffeting. they're great!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 AM
moleson10
Intermediate

Add me to the list of happy campers. These things rock!!! I had a set of fork mounted deflectors on my old roadstar and knew what a difference they can make. I looked for something for my 2010 flhx shortly after I got it and found nothing. Tried all the usual stuff and nothing really got rid of the buffeting, just reduced it.

I was about to fab something myself when I found these. Great product, well made and not too bad looking. They really blend in to the look of the bike and are not that noticeable. Some don't like the look, and I get that but I'll wear them proudly knowing what a difference they make. Besides, compared to some of the fugly windshields people mount to reduce buffeting these things are nothing. You can go back to running a cut down windshield and still have minimal buffeting. And they come off in about 5 minutes for around town running.

This guy is going to make a fortune on these things and he deserves it.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
For those of you who've installed these, is there a cut-out for the turn-signal cable? IOW, can you just loosen the two screws and slip the deflectors in place or must the turn-signals be removed? Hard to tell by the photos on the Ebay page.
To install them, you need to remove the bottom turn signal screw and losen the top screw. The wires are not in the way. At least, that's how it is for a 2009 model...

Originally Posted by iclick
Next question, will these clear with fairing lowers installed? There's no mention of this in the Ebay auction but the HD deflectors don't fit with lowers. If they do fit I also wonder about airflow with lowers, as this may cut airflow in a crucial place, but it's hard to tell.
I do not know about this as I do not have lowers... But, I do have the Harley Adjustable Wind Deflectors and they do fit with the fork deflectors. The wind buffeting is much less at high speeds.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got mine and installed them. Took a little blast on the freeway with my full face. In a word....

WOW!!!

My vision is no longer blurred, and I can hear the stereo better. Huge improvement, even though I do not care for the looks. Now I just have to get 'em powdered black.

My only complaint is with the thickness of the metal. There's not much meat on the little winglet that extends past the blinker. They bend extremely easily. Other than that, great product.

Oh, and I did notice a little more heat under my thighs at speed. 75-80 mph, 94°.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,914 Likes on 988 Posts

I just got mine in the mail...going to slap them on right now.

I'm right with ya Cleary...they're getting powdercoated black at the soonest opportunity.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone considering the raw ones painted to match your bike. I believe they would look good on the darker colored bikes, not too sure about the brighter colors. If anyone gets them, sure would like to see a pic.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
spacelord
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this has already been answered but has anyone tried these with lowers?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,914 Likes on 988 Posts

Well, it took me all of about 5 minutes to install the deflectors. The first thing I noticed was that the deflectors hit my crash bar when the handlebars were turned all the way to the left or right. The solution: I removed the crash bar. I never liked the damn thing anyway, and my SG looks 10 times better without it.

I only had time for a short test ride around town with the new deflectors (max speed was only about 50mph), but the difference was very noticeable. Buffeting was pretty much nonexistent from my waist clear up to my neck. I can't wait to test the deflectors at normal freeway speeds.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Hitting the crash bar?? That doesn't sound right at all. I've had mine turned full crank many times and never made contact.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
moleson10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RLembke
Hitting the crash bar?? That doesn't sound right at all. I've had mine turned full crank many times and never made contact.
Same here, mine don't hit. Maybe not stock crash bars?

Quick Reply: Fork mounted wind deflectors on a FLHX?