Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM
pigeonblood
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

i have an '05 electric glide classic..wanted to verify that it is Ok to use amsoil 20w 50 in all three ...primary..transmission and engine?..then i read that ATF is also used...in all three also..lookn for some good advice

Old 05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know where you read it was ok to use ATF in all three holes??? That is a no no, never use ATF in anything but the primary. Amsoil 20W50 would be great for the Engine, but I would use A gear lube for the transmission. I use and like Redline Heavy with Shockproof in my transmission. Shifts very smooth and calms down the gear clunk some.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, any good V-twin formulated 20W50 for the engine, preferably synthetic. That way it is designed to withstand the temperature changes. Go with Redline Shockproof in the tranny, can't go wrong there. Use a gear oil for the primary or even better, something made for the primary. If nothing else, go with Harley's Formula +, its made for that purpose. You don't want engine oil in there because it has different friction qualities. ATF is for automatic transmissions, an MTF for manual trannys would be better but still not right. Go with a top of the line GL5 like the Redline for your 5 speed. A GL4 would work but why not go with the best you can get.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pigeonblood
i have an '05 electric glide classic..wanted to verify that it is Ok to use amsoil 20w 50 in all three ...primary..transmission and engine?..then i read that ATF is also used...in all three also..lookn for some good advice
Good grief, no! ATF is fine for the primary, but don't even think about it in the tranny, and the engine...where's my smelling sauce! Okay, I'm alright now, just got a bit light-headed.

Suggestions:

Engine -- Any good synthetic oil close to mfr. spec. Take your pick. It does not need to be MC-specific!

Tranny -- Gear oil. Many like Redline Shockproof Heavy.

Primary -- Almost anything: ATF and cheap fossil engine oil are probably the best choices. Anything over about $3/qt. is overkill, IMO, as the primary does not need a high-tech oil. In fact, too much lubricity is not good for proper clutch operation.