Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screaming eagle 103 kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM
ENCret.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screaming eagle 103 kits

has anyone used the harley 103 kits? i am curious about which one and the results. i have a09 FLHTC. Thanks in advance

Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 103 installed on my 08 RG. IMO it was a great improvement over the 96's performance. I did not get into dyno #'s or anything, I just wanted more torque and mid range power for the mountains, I ride 2 up. I still was in the 45 mph range.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:11 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer

I did the SE 103" Stage II with the 255 cams, it is great, however I would suggest having the heads done as well, I didn't I am always wondering how much better performance would I have got if I did the heads as well. Also if you do the Stage II be sure to add the compression releases, I have never had a problem starting my bike but several on this forum have, I would have done it if I knew of the problem when I did my kit. Seems like cheap insurance not to have to do it down the road or worry about replacing starters.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:14 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Thousands.

2. Depends on your cams and what compression you are going to run at.

3. Many other variables like head work, injectors and even pipes make a difference.

4. Plan your build by learning about motors BEFORE you spend your money (this could take a year). Understanding how cams and head work effect performance will help you make your decision. Because you are just starting out, don't fall into the trap of doing what others have done, you won't end up with what YOU want. Your key to a good build depends on your knowledge of what works for you.

Good Luck

Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
ENCret.
Intermediate

i appreciate everyones input...this is not my first trip around the block i had a 2005 flhr that i did a 95 inch on it was a good runner. This is my first 96 inch so was just wondering if anyone had used the screaming eagle setups. my 22 years as a mechanic in the US Navy made me very familiar with how internal combustion engines work

Old 05-13-2010, 06:13 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headwork and cams on a 96" motor will give you more bang for your buck.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Mueller
Intermediate
Default Stage II Kit

I had the SE Stage II kit with the 255 cams installed at delivery as I had ridden an SG with that upgrade and was impressed with the torque and acceleration compared to stock. I also went with the Nightstick pipe so the dealer had a download that saved me a few bucks over buying a race tuner. I am very happy with my ride and is way quicker and just a bit louder than stock.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the 103 kit and 255 cams installed so the work is covered under the new bike 2 yr warranty. I rode it for 1000 miles before I had it put in to break it in. The 96 was a big dog compared to my 88 with a stage 1. I had the SE tuner put on and had a basic download done for the next 1000 miles, great comparative performance. I'm not sure if just adding the tuner would have helped, but I'm not unhappy. I'm also sure that with some head work, it would be better, but keeping it under warranty was important.

I am happy with the performance and SE kit.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I also went with the SE103 kit with 255 cams and the motor pulls much harder than it when it was a 96 Stage 2. The torque increase is especially nice, much less downshifting is required now.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your doing the 103 go at least stage 2, I would go stage 3 if it was me. I have decided to go with the HQ107ST, which I put on order Monday. It really comes down to what your willing to spend. The more you spend, more than likely the more you'll get. It also depends on what you are after. Do some research on the other companies. they all have different set-ups with different style of performance gains, and different prices.

I have debated this thing for a few months and talked with 4 different duilders. It came down to where I wanted my powerband, what I was using it for, additional add-ons, that don't come with the kit(ie: breather, exhaust, throttle body, clutch upgrade,....), and total price I was going to end up with when it was all said and done.

some comparisons I made were, from hillside, gmr, screamin eagle, Tman, and HQ. Each of these have the kits for 103 or 107.

Quick Reply: screaming eagle 103 kits