Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange Safety Vest

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking71865
Does anyone wear one of these?

If so, where did you get it and does it flop around in the wind?
If your looking for visibility forget it, I have to wear one on test rides and people still look right at you and change lanes into you and turn in front of you.

If its for base entry the HD one is nice, adjustable sides, reflective bar and shield on the back, doesnt flap around and has a convenient place on the front for a business card so the authorities can identify the body!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a really nie "Filson" retro reflective vest. As a Surveyor, I need it for work... (smile) seems as I wound up with one at home...... Really handy for those early morning commutes.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
It is funny how base commanders read into the regulations. I know the Army regulation states that you need to wear bright upper garments during the day and reflective during times if limited visibility. But of course they go over board and make reflective the standard at all times. Retirement cannot come to quickly.... Then I get the "do not wear clothing that would make you stand out to a terrorist" infommercials on AFN. What the hell does the reflective vest make me look like? American Military!! The only other people wearing them here are the student riders who are going through their training and being followed by a Fahrschule vehicle!!!

To the OP..When I do wear one, I wear the HD orange vest and it does not flop around at all. The sides are adjustable and elastic.
I totally agree. I just got done working on a Marine Corps Base and the Marine Corps got smart. They realized that the *** vests, I mean reflective vests make service members stick out to the public so they changed their regulations so that you only need a bright colored long sleeve shirt during day time. At night you need a reflective source. I wish the Army would do the same.

I am not a fan of the vest so I stick with a PT belt across the body.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
My Roadie IS a big a$$ orange safety vest.
....... mine works in a similar manner

Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texasmike74
When I ride on post, this is what I usually do. I was recently reading the rules for post and when in uniform the belt or vest is manditory. When in civilian clothes it states bright colored top or vest in low light situations. I wear a Icon vest on post when its dark. I hate to say it but I don't really think the vest helps that much. If people can't see a 900 lb bike with lights I don't think they see the vest either.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

The more people who wear one of these, the sooner some bright politician will try to save us by mandating them, as the military already has. That might be the thing that could make me quit riding after all these years.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
My Roadie IS a big a$$ orange safety vest.
Ha! you aint kidding!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Wore vest or reflective belt on base. Simple Army was killing more than their share of riders.
when the old regs requiring Safety course and some riding gear were enforced the deaths dropped like a rock.
Put an orange one on the RG aslo

Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by bald1der
When I ride on post, this is what I usually do. I was recently reading the rules for post and when in uniform the belt or vest is manditory. When in civilian clothes it states bright colored top or vest in low light situations. I wear a Icon vest on post when its dark. I hate to say it but I don't really think the vest helps that much. If people can't see a 900 lb bike with lights I don't think they see the vest either.
Originally Posted by texasmike74
and if you were to come to fort polk, you would not be riding your bike on post. pt belt is not sufficient, you must either wear a reflective vest (night, or limited visibility) or brightly colored long sleeve shirt (specifically, safety yellow, safety orange, or white)

Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

I wear the Icon mil spec when riding to work (Fed Civ on AFB) & at night. My thoughts = it doesn't hurt to make yourself as visible as possible. This one zips & has cinches on each side so you can get is tight (no flapping).

Attached Thumbnails Orange Safety Vest-icon.jpg  

Quick Reply: Orange Safety Vest