Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander and fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sargek
My stage 1 carbed Wide Glide consistantly got 34-35 and I babied it. My Ultra is stage 1 with PCIII USB, stock pipes, Rinehart slips and an SE AC - I get between 36 and 40 and I baby it too. I would be happy to get 50, but I just don't see that happening. I am getting ready to pull the stage 1 but leave the slipons to see if I can even notice a power, mileage and rideability difference. I am a very mellow rider so I am guessing I won't notice anything, but who knows.
Well, thought I'd post back after pulling the stage one. Put everything back to stock except the slipons. Bike ran great except it doesn't wind quite as freely around 3K, which I expected, and I initially thought the bike ran cooler, but that was mainly due to stupidity on my part. My y-pipe was cracked so I replaced it at the same time I pulled the stage one. I thought that perhaps the map in the PC III was too lean, but the answer is obvious: the y-pipe crack shot nice, hot exhaust gas at my thighs. When I replaced it at the same time I pulled the stage one, the bike "felt" cooler.

Well, after sitting in traffic for less than 5 minutes in the South Texas heat, the bike was detonating with the stock ECM and A/C. Of course everyone told me the bike would run leaner, but I guess I had to experience it for myself. Mileage went to 44.9, but I can sacrifice that for the motor running cooler. So...back to stage one and bike runs just fine. The O2 sensor eliminators are in the mail from Dynojet so will install those when they get here this week. I will post my map in a couple of days so someone can tell me if it's appropriate.

I should have listened to ya'll, but live and learn, right?!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

City averages high 20's mpg
Highway avgs low 40's mpg

Mostly solo riding.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

60 to 65 mph 2 lane hiway i got 38, 75 to 80 interstate with the wife on i got 34.8. Stock, i got anywhere from 46 to 50. but the moter runs so much cooler i'll take the mileage loss. Also could be i'm a little harder on the throttle now as well-(lol)