Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Solo Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 AM
gunnerglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Solo Install ?

Got my Mustang solo late yesterday and I didn't have time to install it last night but I went out and eyeballed the bike with installation in mind. A couple of questions as I have a tendency to make simple things hard. It looks like the right side holding the strap for the original seat is riveted and I have to remove the whole bracket to get the strap off of the bike. I also thought that the screw holding down the back of the original seat would screw down flush but it seems to not want to do that and I don't want to attempt to force it. What do you use to plug or cover the hole? On the 2 studs that the mustang attaches too there are nuts and big flat plastic washers; do these come off and if so I'm wondering if the studs will fall thru. Can anybody out there can give me a little guidance before I make this harder than it should be. I know that some of you will think this guy is an idiot but I thought why not ask somebody in the know before messing this up or taking away too much riding time trying to figure this out. I was going to search the forum but I'm running late now. Any help is appreciated. I'm suppose to go on a ride tomorrow and I have to work today so I'm going to try and knock this out early tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 AM
digga25
Advanced

the screw that holds the seat down has to bottom out so it does not stick out of the fender,so if you bottom out the suspension the screw doesnt rip up the tire.The plastic washers have two purposes one is to hold the studs from falling out and the other is so you dont scratch the fender with the seat brackets.Good luck.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Spaceteach
Intermediate

My Mustang solo is due in tomorrow, so I haven't done the install yet, but here is what I have been able to find out:
I have already taken off the seat strap. I removed the brackets on each side. Not hard to do, they just unbolt. You will have to remove and reinstall the saddlebag mounts that use the same bolt, so if you completely remove the strap brackets you will have to re-align the saddlebag bracket.
There are two options I know of for the rear seat bolt. I'm probably just going to put in a chrome washer and short 1/4 inch bolt. The other solution is to go to your Harley dealer and get the plastic plug they use to fill the front fender hole in '09 FXDCs. It's black plastic with an HD logo molded in and just snaps into the hole after you remove the existing nut (there is a c-clip on the nut. If you remove the clip the nut will fall out).
According to the service manual, the studs you use for the solo seat are on a nut plate, so you should be able to remove the nuts without the studs falling out. Plastic washers should go between seat mount and fender to protect the fender paint. I think there are instructions for mounting the seat on the Mustang Seats web site.

Hope this helps

Old 05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerglide
It looks like the right side holding the strap for the original seat is riveted and I have to remove the whole bracket to get the strap off of the bike. !
I cut the strap off and removed the rivets. The chrome brackets come in handy to strap things down to the passenger seat or in my case a luggage rack.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gunnerglide
Got my Mustang solo late yesterday and I didn't have time to install it last night but I went out and eyeballed the bike with installation in mind. A couple of questions as I have a tendency to make simple things hard. It looks like the right side holding the strap for the original seat is riveted and I have to remove the whole bracket to get the strap off of the bike. I also thought that the screw holding down the back of the original seat would screw down flush but it seems to not want to do that and I don't want to attempt to force it. What do you use to plug or cover the hole? On the 2 studs that the mustang attaches too there are nuts and big flat plastic washers; do these come off and if so I'm wondering if the studs will fall thru. Can anybody out there can give me a little guidance before I make this harder than it should be. I know that some of you will think this guy is an idiot but I thought why not ask somebody in the know before messing this up or taking away too much riding time trying to figure this out. I was going to search the forum but I'm running late now. Any help is appreciated. I'm suppose to go on a ride tomorrow and I have to work today so I'm going to try and knock this out early tomorrow. Thanks!
If you're going to be putting a passenger pillion on and off, you can but a chrome thumbscrew in your fender hole that looks pretty decent when solo. Available at your dealer for a mere 13 bucks (maybe more now). I would love to have a clean fender when solo, but its not an option as my O/L rides off and on.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 AM
gunnerglide
Advanced

Thanks for the comebacks. As usual I made much ado about something pretty simple. I removed the strap and brackets, pretty simple stuff even for the mechanically challenged like myself. I might put them back on for extra tiedown points like SC_ compact mentioned. Removed the 2 nuts above the plastic washers, placed the two black nylon washers, placed the fender bib and then attached the seat using the seperately sold chrome seat mounting nuts. I stopped by the Harley shop and got a chromed seat nut cap insert for the original seat attachement nut ($4.25). It's plastic but looks good for right know until I find something better. Took it for a quick spin before dark. First impression is the foam in the seat feels a lot better on the butt than the original seat. Second impression is it's a pretty snug fit on my fat butt, not a whole lot of wiggle room. I'm going to take a ride today and see how it goes. I'm going to attempt to attach a couple of pic's, hopefully it will work. Thanks again for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Mustang Solo Install ?-dscf0712small.jpg   Mustang Solo Install ?-dscf0713small.jpg   Mustang Solo Install ?-dscf0717small.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Sweet, if you decide you don't like that seat, I'll give you 100.00 cash for it!
Mustang solo is on my wish list I think.

I have one question, will the passenger pillion fit into one of the bags? So if you need it quick, it'll be there?
I THINK this is the seat I want to go to,, at least today I think that, who knows what I will want tomorrow....

Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
FIREHAWK116
Cruiser

I am looking at this seat also. Does this seat put you any lower? Is it any narrower in the front?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK116
I am looking at this seat also. Does this seat put you any lower? Is it any narrower in the front?
I used to have the Mustang solo on my bike. It sits down a little from stock, but not as much as some other seats. Look at the Mustang tripper seats, which are lower. If you want a backrest, you might consider some other brands.

I'm a fairly big guy (6', 220 lbs), and felt like I was sitting right on top of that rear bolster on the Mustang solo. I changed to a Corbin, which wound up being a much better fit for me.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
. If you want a backrest, you might consider some other brands.
Mustang makes a solo w/backrest. Best seat I've ever had.

Last edited by bobros; 05-08-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Mustang Solo Install ?