Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Has anyone ever tried to "report" this under a warranty claim? My 2010 SG says its empty with over 2 gallons left in a 6 gallon tank......just wondering. Its a shame they put such a crappy guage on a bike that costs me over $25K. So much for "American made quality".
Not on my last two bikes but I took my '05 RKC in 3 different times for the fuel gauge. As stated in my previous post when the low fuel light came on on that thing I had less than 15 miles to fill up. They changed the sending unit each time and never did remedy the problem. I finally just shrugged it off as an inherent problem that I'd just have to get used to.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gas gauges on most H-Ds are sort of OK but typically show a half tank when only about 33% of the gas remains. Prior to 2007, on Touring models the "get gas" light would come on when there was about 1 gal left. On 2008 models this was changed so that the light came on when there was 1/2 gal left. Many people have suggested that only the odometer be used, but this requires that you know what the bike's MPG is. My wife (who rides her own Ultra) and I have always used the gas gauges on the bikes with no problems.

Last edited by tedcmiller (Cry Baby); 05-08-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi tedcmiller. Welcome to the forum.

My bike gets about 40-42 mpg. I never take that into account when I'm ready for gas. Generally, from experience, when my trip odometer reads 210-220 miles I'll stop for gas. That's mostly because I can make 2 round trips to work and that adds up to about 210 to 220 miles.

My wife and I were riding one day and got on a road where there were no gas stations. When we finally got to a gas station the remaining mileage had gone to Lo (10 miles left) and we had gone 12 miles since then. I put 5.75 gallons in the tank. Had 230 miles on the trip meter. I figured we may have gotten 10 more miles out of it. Talk about sweating!!

I feel safe using the trip meter or remaining miles.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

It appears that I am one of the lucky ones. My gauge is right on.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Meathook
Cruiser
Default 2010 Limited Gas Gauge

Yes, the gauge is not accurate. However, I discovered that it is much closer to reality when I completely fill the tank. From the point where the hose kicks off, I can ease over 1/2 gallon of jet fuel into the tank! While still not accurate, it is much closer to reality. I have intentionally run it down to single digits and it actually has more fuel left than indicated. My mileage ranges between 40 to 46 depending on speed.

Having pushed a few empty Harley's (62 Duo Glide, 73 Sportster, 82 Super Glide, 95 Ultra) I can tell you that you want to refuel well before you run out! The old "reserve" system meant you go a few feet after you switch it over, then push!

Best practice is to get jet fuel every 200 miles!

Meathook: out

Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 AM
c130loader
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife and I were riding in North GA and the fuel light comes on so I pull into a station to fill up, crap no key to open the lid. I call my son tell him to get the key and meet us at a station in town, about 35 miles away. Get to the station and the needle is sitting on top of the "E", topped it off with four gallons in a five gallon tank. Also the lock on the lid is gone and replaced with the push button, you still need to make sure you have what you need before you leave the house.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 AM
dhincc
Road Master

On mine, full is full and half is 1/3. I use the trip odometer more than the gauge.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Default full

Originally Posted by dhincc
On mine, full is full and half is 1/3. I use the trip odometer more than the gauge.

On mine, full is full. And, 100 miles later, it's still full.

JR

Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-Boston
On mine, full is full. And, 100 miles later, it's still full.

JR
That's exactly how mine is. The gauges on my HDs have pretty well mirrored every 4 wheel vehicle I have owned. I can go about as far on the first 1/4 tank as I can on the last 3/4 tank.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 05-09-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

If everyone is so worried about it, I wish they never put one on. Wow,, I mean, those who have been riding any time at all have probably owned MANY bikes with NO GAGE at all? I know I have. The first bike I had with one was my Softail Standard. It didn't work well. I never looked at it anyway. Used the trip meter.
My '10 FLHX seems to work relatively fine. I think it's semi accurate, but I JUST discovered the miles to empty the other day! And when I filled it, it seemed spot on.

This issue never has really bothered me in the least, no matter how much I spent on the bike! Don't let the little things in life bother ya,, it's too short!

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge