Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Clasic Tour pack on 09 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
botlefedpony
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Clasic Tour pack on 09 Street Glide

Hey guys,

I am about hlaf way through my tour pack instal. Right now I have it painted,mounted,lights working and I am about to tackel the speakers. I have two questions......first I have the entire Ultra harness off an 08 up to the faring,will this just plug in to the back of my radio??? Will everything be there to make the intercom work? I do not care about the CB but the intercom might be usefull at some point.

Second question,What is the best way to deal with the radio antenna? I dont know that I want to do a hidden unit in the faring,but I don't want it to be a huge pain in the *** when I take the tour pack off either.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by botlefedpony
Hey guys,

I am about hlaf way through my tour pack instal. Right now I have it painted,mounted,lights working and I am about to tackel the speakers. I have two questions......first I have the entire Ultra harness off an 08 up to the faring,will this just plug in to the back of my radio??? NO. Will everything be there to make the intercom work? NO. I do not care about the CB but the intercom might be usefull at some point.

Second question,What is the best way to deal with the radio antenna? I dont know that I want to do a hidden unit in the faring,but I don't want it to be a huge pain in the *** when I take the tour pack off either.
You need the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06. The overlay harness plugs into the back of the HK head unit and provides the connections for your rear speakers and passenger controls that are provided by the harness from the speakers/passenger controls to the fairing.

For intercom, you will need a rider headset/mic connection and PTT/squelch switch for the left side handlebar controls. You can refer to the installation instructions for the Boom Audio Music Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09 or p/n 77107-09 for the components in those kits and identify what you don't have.

You will also need a dealer flash to turn "on" the intercom function. Cost will be about $50.

As for in-fairing antennas, there are lots of choices. While you are waiting for additional replies, use the search function for earlier threads on the various products offered.

Carl

PS: It will help others considering the same mod if you can describe how you provided wiring to the Ultra TP's light harness. Your SG uses the harness the Ultra uses for lighting the tour pak for the SG rear fender fascia LED.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 05-06-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
botlefedpony
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
You need the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06. The overlay harness plugs into the back of the HK head unit and provides the connections for your rear speakers and passenger controls that are provided by the harness from the speakers/passenger controls to the fairing.

For intercom, you will need a rider headset/mic connection and PTT/squelch switch for the left side handlebar controls. You can refer to the installation instructions for the Boom Audio Music Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09 or p/n 77107-09 for the components in those kits and identify what you don't have.

You will also need a dealer flash to turn "on" the intercom function. Cost will be about $50.

As for in-fairing antennas, there are lots of choices. While you are waiting for additional replies, use the search function for earlier threads on the various products offered.

Carl

PS: It will help others considering the same mod if you can describe how you provided wiring to the Ultra TP's light harness. Your SG uses the harness the Ultra uses for lighting the tour pak for the SG rear fender fascia LED.

Thank you, I sent you a PM with a question on the harness.

As far as the lights goes all I did was buy a 4 pin connector that fit the empty plug under the seat(on top of the battery) and a 3- pin connector that fit the socket in the tour pack. I made a loom to fun along side the fender strut and I secure it with velcro while on the bike.

The factory loom is under the left side cover but the led fender light is wired into it. You can tap the led into the tail lamp and use the factory loom. I am planing on removing the tour pack for around town so if I used the factory loom I would have ended up cutting it and puting in a 3-pin plug under the seat.

The way I did it I have not cut any of the factory looms that came with the bike. I can take everything off and it still has everything the way it left Harley.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe he will also need the dealer to flash the head unit to activate the rear speakers as well, unless that is also part of the intercom flash, since its going on a FLHX and that bike only has front speakers activated normally.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
botlefedpony
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys,

Just to clear things up I am NOT trying to get the CB or Intercom to work I JUST want the rear speakers to work. I have the complete factory wire loom off the Ultra. It starts with a oval 35 pin connector and runs under the tank and to the rear tourpack. I think the 35 pin conector plug into the back of the head unit.

And I do have the factory manual but I have a hard time reading the wire diagrams.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by botlefedpony
Thanks for the replies guys,

Just to clear things up I am NOT trying to get the CB or Intercom to work I JUST want the rear speakers to work. I have the complete factory wire loom off the Ultra. It starts with a oval 35 pin connector and runs under the tank and to the rear tourpack. I think the 35 pin conector plug into the back of the head unit.

And I do have the factory manual but I have a hard time reading the wire diagrams.
Do you already have the rear pods/speakers? If not, I would suggest just going with the Hogtunes package, but then you ARE giving up the intercom PTT and volume control on the rear pods.

If you go with the HD setup, you will need to have the radio flashed to activate the rear speakers. Its somewhere between 50-100 as I recall, another reason I went with Hogtunes, which does not require the flash to the head unit, because it includes an amp to drive 2 of the 4 speakers as part of the package. (the head unit powers the rear speakers, the amp powers the fairing speaker) It also includes all the wiring you need, including a quick disconnect back by the tourpak. You also get better speakers for the front. (you move your fairing speakers to the rear, and put his speakers in fairing) Of course, if you already HAVE the HD speakers/pods, thats irrelevant, but thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Rear speaker Ultrasound kit here:

http://www.hogtunes.com/shopping/06-10_Classic.html

$499.00

Last edited by flyingace; 05-07-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems most of the guys have answered your questions re the speakers etc
As for Antenna I didn't go the in-fairing route either. Instead I just purchased the relocation kit and mounted a shorty antenna there. Saves messing around with the tour-pak. I also went with the Hog-tunes unit - no flash required