Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The makings of a good seat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The makings of a good seat.

Hate to start another seat thread but I am not quite happy with the sundowner for my road king classic. I have tried to do several searches on here for opinions from various people on what makes a good seat and can't find one. So lets hear it.

What makes a good seat great. Is it width, material, type of foam, cut, gel, what?

I also realize different seats for different cheeks but it seems with some overall thoughts it would help narrow the search, I am seriously considering the new mustang super tour seats, however, the reason I am looking at them is that they are wider than other seats I see and I wonder if wider is better?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Easiest way can answer that is Maximum Comfort without Sacrificing Seat Height...

Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you an having seat problems I'd be talking to Allen at Mean City Cycles. They are a sponsor here and do seat modifications. Great Customer Service too.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I've had the stock seat, badlander, and a Mustang touring seat for my RK. I wanted a seat that looked great on the bike but that was also comfortable. I resisted Corbin for years because of how hard they were. I finally broke down and bought the Classic Solo and wish I'd done in back when I bought the bike. The nice thing about Corbin is that they will custom fit the seat to your spec at no charge.

My buddy has had a couple of EG - currently an '07 SE Ultra. He switched to the Corbin dual tour and raves about it.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by wassup8687
If I were you an having seat problems I'd be talking to Allen at Mean City Cycles. They are a sponsor here and do seat modifications. Great Customer Service too.
I've heard great things about MCC as well.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

I had a 2-up touring Mustang on my '04 Wide Glide and the biggest thing I had to get used to was the width. Once I got used to it, it was a fantastic seat. My Ultra has the stock seat and although my wife loves the passenger seat, mine is mushy. Serious case of monkey butt after a long day in the saddle. I can't speak for any other brands, but I was very happy with Mustang.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,406 Likes on 22,397 Posts

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
Hate to start another seat thread but I am not quite happy with the sundowner for my road king classic. I have tried to do several searches on here for opinions from various people on what makes a good seat and can't find one. So lets hear it.

What makes a good seat great. Is it width, material, type of foam, cut, gel, what?

I also realize different seats for different cheeks but it seems with some overall thoughts it would help narrow the search, I am seriously considering the new mustang super tour seats, however, the reason I am looking at them is that they are wider than other seats I see and I wonder if wider is better?

Yeah there really should be a "special section" under what ever type of bike you have for seats, seriously. There is a new seat thread every other day(at least) and generally the responses are the same, MCC, C&C and Mustang, Reach Seat etc. So there you have it from me.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 AM
hucks 08
Road Captain

my 08 ultra seat really sucked bad ,went on a rode trip about 650 miles to mcc and they redid my seat, went about another 900 miles and on the way back home i stopped and they worked on it again,went another 650 miles home and sent it back to them and had allen redo the seat again[at the time of the first seat fixin he was in sturgis ] rode home *** was really sore ,i have about 2000 miles on it now and seams to be doing well once i get adjusted ,havnt taken it on any long trips yet.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bennenrkc...What are some of the issues you've been having? I'm scheduled to ship my seat to MCC next week to have the double layer foam put in. I'll let you know how it turns out. My main problem is tail bone pain and feeling like I'm on top of the tank.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's kinda hard to give any advice you could use without telling us some info about your size.

If you are 145 lbs or 275 lbs it might make a difference. Some one your size might give the best advice.
Please, please, no pictures of your *** though. That would be TMI.

Quick Reply: The makings of a good seat.