Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The makings of a good seat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hucks 08
my 08 ultra seat really sucked bad ,went on a rode trip about 650 miles to mcc and they redid my seat, went about another 900 miles and on the way back home i stopped and they worked on it again,went another 650 miles home and sent it back to them and had allen redo the seat again[at the time of the first seat fixin he was in sturgis ] rode home *** was really sore ,i have about 2000 miles on it now and seams to be doing well once i get adjusted ,havnt taken it on any long trips yet.
Let me see if my math is correct:
You rode 650 miles on a seat you couldn't stand,
you then rode 900 miles on the new seat (with a sore azz from the previous suckie seat),
you then rode 650 miles home and you azz was hurting?

No chit Sherlock. My azz wouldn't take 22 hundred miles in a Cadillac. lol
Just whanking your change. j/k

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Yeah there really should be a "special section" under what ever type of bike you have for seats, seriously. There is a new seat thread every other day(at least) and generally the responses are the same, MCC, C&C and Mustang, Reach Seat etc. So there you have it from me.
I understand that there is a new seat thread everyday, but again they are not anwsering the questions that I put forth, as to what makes the various seats good or bad, for different types of riding. The purpose of the question was to maybe have a thread that someone (like me) that they could go to and look.

This bieng my first bike, and the sundowner being the only seat that I have tried I didnt really feel qualified to comment on what the different seats felt like, whether the gel really helps or if the width really help/hurt.

I was trying to have this not be a thread that would solve solely my seat problem but a future reference to all that are asking seat questions to check out, and to be reffered to when wondering about fixing their seat problem.

As for me I am 6'2'' 240 lbs. and my wife is 5'2'' and average sized (almost put weight but it would have been the last you would have heard of me). I recently changed out bars, because I was having lower back issues, the sundowner helped with that originally as it seems to scoot you further forward towards the tank and I didn't have to reach as far, however I was to close to the tank, but was something I was willing to live with to stop pain in lower back. Now that I changed my bars I want to move back a couple of inches, so I am not sitting on the tank. Also the sundowner would give me pain in my tail bone which I think is caused by the backrest mount, if I ride non stop through a full tank of gas.

Review of Sundowner is that it is a great seat for someone who likes to sit closer to the tank, and maybe is not as big that you fall through to the backrest mount. just me .02

Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
sagalong
Advanced

Well, nobody has mentioned them, so I will. http://www.day-long.com/index.html Some think they look bad, but sure are great seats.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sagalong
Well, nobody has mentioned them, so I will. http://www.day-long.com/index.html Some think they look bad, but sure are great seats.
Agree they look ugly but if they are comfortable I guess that's all that matters.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
batman4706
Tourer
Talking Mustang seat

I have the Regal touring and it works good for me (6' 240 lbsm 34 in sleeve). The new seat you are talking about is a little wider and moves you back about 2 in.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Been having a hellofatime finding the right solo

when as it turned out, I had it here all the time. Been trying unload a new Signature series/dbr. Sort of sits me too high. I put it back on and change the bars to the heritage bars and now everthing has come together. ALthough still trying to get C&C to do something with the one they made for me. In the meantime have ordered another 1 piece Mustang ultimate tour/dbr. When will it all end. I feel like a compulsive adictive with these damn seats. After it's all over I'll invite ya all up for a small garage sale.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
I understand that there is a new seat thread everyday, but again they are not anwsering the questions that I put forth, as to what makes the various seats good or bad, for different types of riding. The purpose of the question was to maybe have a thread that someone (like me) that they could go to and look.

This bieng my first bike, and the sundowner being the only seat that I have tried I didnt really feel qualified to comment on what the different seats felt like, whether the gel really helps or if the width really help/hurt.

I was trying to have this not be a thread that would solve solely my seat problem but a future reference to all that are asking seat questions to check out, and to be reffered to when wondering about fixing their seat problem.

As for me I am 6'2'' 240 lbs. and my wife is 5'2'' and average sized (almost put weight but it would have been the last you would have heard of me). I recently changed out bars, because I was having lower back issues, the sundowner helped with that originally as it seems to scoot you further forward towards the tank and I didn't have to reach as far, however I was to close to the tank, but was something I was willing to live with to stop pain in lower back. Now that I changed my bars I want to move back a couple of inches, so I am not sitting on the tank. Also the sundowner would give me pain in my tail bone which I think is caused by the backrest mount, if I ride non stop through a full tank of gas.

Review of Sundowner is that it is a great seat for someone who likes to sit closer to the tank, and maybe is not as big that you fall through to the backrest mount. just me .02
I know what you mean, I resently rode down from Rhode Island to Florida and let tell you having to ride half a tank full was difficult with the stock street glide seat.... By the time I did 600 miles my legs were numb with poor circulation....