Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic getting hot !!1!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010 | 09:36 PM
palatium
|
Cruiser
Default Ultra Classic getting hot !!1!

I was on my way back from Panama this past sunday and was cruising about 75 to 80 and temp was running about 225 to 230 on the guage, As soon as I hit dothan and about 10 minutes of stop and go she went up to 260 and the oil pressure went to O.
Ive got wood cams , stage I,ac, pc III .
Could it be running lean ?

I talked to harley about a oil cooler and they showed me a oil pan with some type of cooling system incorporated in the pan. HAve any of you heard of this pan or tryed it ? its in the drag fat book

Old 05-05-2010 | 10:02 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by palatium
I was on my way back from Panama this past Sunday and was cruising about 75 to 80 and temp was running about 225 to 230 on the gauge, As soon as I hit do than and about 10 minutes of stop and go she went up to 260 and the oil pressure went to O.

I talked to Harley about a oil cooler and they showed me a oil pan with some type of cooling system incorporated in the pan. Have any of you heard of this pan or tried it ? its in the drag fat book
My bike used to run in the 230 range while cruising down the road most of the time too. I saw 260+ on a couple of occasions when I got stuck in traffic but I've never had the oil pressure drop to 0. That was with a box stock engine. I added the Jagg low mount 10 row and my cruising temps dropped between 10 to 20 degrees and 230 is usually the highest number I see these days. I don't know anything about the oil pan their talking about but the Jagg unit works well and I've got friends with the Harley oil cooler that have seen similar numbers to what I'm getting. I'd get the oil cooler either way though. I recently added Fuel Moto's Stage 1 (pipes, AC, and PCV) to my bike and I can't see that it's changed anything temp wise. The bike runs stronger and has better throttle response but the oil temp gauge is reading pretty much what it was before the mods.

Good luck with yours!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-05-2010 | 10:11 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by palatium
I was on my way back from Panama this past sunday and was cruising about 75 to 80 and temp was running about 225 to 230 on the guage, As soon as I hit dothan and about 10 minutes of stop and go she went up to 260 and the oil pressure went to O.

I talked to harley about a oil cooler and they showed me a oil pan with some type of cooling system incorporated in the pan. HAve any of you heard of this pan or tryed it ? its in the drag fat book
The oil pan is called a Baker +1. It will add 1 qt. of oil to your system. I do not know if it will lower your temp as much as a cooler. I doubt it. I have the HD premium cooler and my temps are in the 180/190 range all day and 230 in traffic. I would recommend you get a cooler.

I do know that our bikes can have very low oil pressure at idle especially when hot. Mine doesn't go to 0 but it does go to 1 sometimes. I would be worried if it read 0.

Hope I helped.

Steve