Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear coat repair!!!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
Default clear coat repair!!!! help!

I'm gonna puke.

I scratched the lid of one of my bags. it looks like it's just deep clear coat scratches.

I bought a product by turtle wax that includes a clear coat pen, 3 different buffing pads, a buffing lubricant and what appears to be compound.

anyone ever need to use a clear coat repair kit and if so, what was your results?

does anyone have any tips that can help me out before I make matters worse?

they are pretty deep but disappear when wet down with water and I see no paint loss.

thanks,
Tony

Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 PM
scarpetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I detailed cars, boats etc for years

I detailed cars, boats etc for years and I have seen alot of those "repair kits" come in so I could fix there work. I'm not saying there bad I just never seen one work and that was years ago so maybe there better now to.

that being said i would leave it to the pros, with ought seeing the scratch its hard to recommend a process but if it isn't to far into the clear a skilled detailer can use a gritty compound to take the scratch down then polish er back up in 20 minutes to look like new again. if its on the bad side a simple wet sand and buff could also do the trick. if all else fails a wet sand and re clear coat but that's only if its real bad.

if you can get me a picture I can better point you in a good direction.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
lfalla
Advanced

I think certain body shops have something called cutting compound or something like that. That my help depending how deep it is.
You also need to remember that at least on the newer bikes Harley does not spray their clearcoat on. It is a type of powder and then baked on.
I learned that on my visit to the York, PA plant where they build the touring bikes.

Trust me I know how you feel. Somebody won't mention names sat on my bike with hard boots and I heard him hit the bag when he put his leg over. Have a small scratch on the corner which is past the clear. I was sick to my stomach.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...agree with Scarpetta...if the scratch is real deep...just remove the lid fromt the bag..(it's easy)...and take it to a bodyshop and ask them to re clear it...it should be pretty cheap...I would say no more than $50.00 tops...but ask them to try and buff it first...and remember...an electric buffing wheel is gonna do a way better job than you can by hand...

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM
scarpetta
Tourer

lfalla, i think you are referring to powder coat but I think (correct me if im wrong) thats only on tins and the part your referring to is plastic or fiberglass right?

and I agree with jmacdonald5's price guess, round these parts it would be about the same. definitely under 100. well worth it to have your scoot look new again.

Last edited by scarpetta; 05-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

A friend did a similar fix for me. He's a pro body guy. 600 grit followed by buffing and it was done. Remove the lid and take it to a pro.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
RON ZIBB
Intermediate

If you want to fix it real cheap, wash with soap and water dry real good.If it just into the clear coat use clear fingernail polish let dry and refill again. Use a tooth pick and just fill the scratch. Wet sand with 1500 wet sand paper.until smooth, be carefull the harley clear is not as thick as it used to be. Use a mild rubbing compound until all the 1500 scratches are gone and polish to a gloss. Have patience and it will turn out as good as new.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The way I look at it if you are going to ride it is going to get scratched, pitted and dinged.
Just ride and enjoy.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,157 Likes on 3,674 Posts

I am leaving my scratches alone until i get ready to sell or trade...buffing the clear too much will eventually burn it then you have a problem....

Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Try this http://www.motorcycle-armor.com/ No need to repair, covers the current scratches and eliminates future ones.

Quick Reply: clear coat repair!!!! help!