Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could tell Harley engineers to fix something what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Have three cheap fixes that make sense with out major design expenses and most would agree with.

1. Tour pack latches break far to frequently, I yes I tighten mine routinely and drive conservative. A few dollars for HD to fix.

2. The gear shift linkage is inadequate though I saw no one else mention it. It even looks mickey mouse for a 20,000 dollar purchase. Mine broke of in year 2 and used an old rusted coat hanger to get the gears to shift until I could get in fixed in the nest town. I was on a 8500 mile ride. No excuse for it and I know it is more common than some think. Cheap improvement.

3. As others have said I would like the oil gauge to replace the air gauge, especially with an air cooled motor. A little more money but still cheap and very functional.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fix the way the seat mounts, so it doesnt f%$k up your rear fender when you go to a solo seat.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:16 AM
itsmf
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Parts

Be able to get parts from H-D in 2 or 3 DAYS,not 2 or 3 WEEKS!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM
batman4706
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

____
LOL! All of this chest-beating, internet bad-assery, "I'm not really a badass, I just play one on the intar-webz" stuff cracks me up.

Sounds like you boys need to visit Texas more often. We've got HUGE mustard seeds here, cuz ya know..."everything's bigger in Texas!".

What he said!!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
1.) All Engines to have SE Parts - build the engines do not make us have to pay for it.
Why would they make SE parts standard when they know they can sell it to you after the sale? Selling two of everything beats only one if you're the seller.

4.) Stop the Grease leak out of the steering head bearings - I have tried every know grease to man - at 100deg. it's all going to leak.
I've had good luck with Royal Purple Ultra Performance Grease NLGI #2. It hasn't leaked in my last two bikes even in our S. LA summers.

6.) Oil Cooler Standard on all bikes
Again, why would they give it to you free if they can sell it to you for $250 later?

9.) 3 year / 30k mile warranty standard - it's built in the USA , we make damn good product step up!
See above, extended warranty.

My list:

1. Heim joints on shifter rod instead of the cheap ball-and-socket type that will eventually break at the worst possible time.

2. Heat? Only water-cooling will fix this when current emissions standards are met. EPA? It's here to stay and we need it, so get over it.

3. Fairing brackets. Maybe the redesign has fixed the much-too-frequent breakage. Time will tell.

4. Adjustable windshield.

5. The ability to select the options you want installed at the factory, including engine options.

6. At least Stage II 103ci standard on touring bikes.

7. Oil coolers standard on touring bikes. This is needed, period.

8. Oil temp gauge instead of useless ATG.

Last edited by iclick; 05-06-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Hunter2678
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

If you want a "counterbalanced rubber mounted" engine by a 50+degree VTwin metric bike...man thats another reason I bought my bike,... while they still vibrate a little...I'd bet even if harley fixed all these things people would still bitch about something.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter2678
If you want a "counterbalanced rubber mounted" engine by a 50+degree VTwin metric bike...........................
My point exactly, it can be done. But I ain't buying a "50+degree VTwin metric bike" so you're stuck with me.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Guy, come on please dont join the ranks of this thread. My fairing has been off at least 3 dozen times, no pull outs.
I dunno man, Im always VERY careful with those, and I've had 2 pull out on 2 diff bikes. It does kinda **** you off.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Reverse would be nice
2. HEAT/HEAT/HEAT
3. Adjustable windshield
4. HEAT/HEAT/HEAT
5. Tourpak organizer coming with a $20K bike?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
I dunno man, Im always VERY careful with those, and I've had 2 pull out on 2 diff bikes. It does kinda **** you off.
I must agree, but maybe Hogdoc has an on-off method we should all be using. I'm very careful with all seven screws but have had two WS threaded inserts pull out on this bike alone, and I find the screw-in type replacements to be much better. They don't use these at the factory because they are harder to install, as they probably just hammer the stock ones in in seconds. The bottom-right outer-fairing mount cracked on mine, which was fixed with JB Weld, but I've since replaced it for other reasons. So, I'm back to the stock configuration again.

Last edited by iclick; 05-06-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: If you could tell Harley engineers to fix something what would it be?