Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could tell Harley engineers to fix something what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If you can have a “Counter Balanced” 96 motor in a Softail and a “Rubber Mounted” 96 motor in a Touring bike, why not have a “Counter Balanced – Rubber mounted” motor? can you say smoooooooooth?

Angled out valve stems you could reach easily

Floor boards moved out an 1 ½”

A little more room between the “gas tank/frame and the motor” so I can get my hands in there to clean the heads/motor

Oil temp gauge, instead of the Air temp gauge

Oil cooler standard (it is an 800 lb air cooled behemoth)

Wind Tunnel tested fairing

Handle bar fitment that doesn’t make 90% of riders have to lean forward to reach the bars (this is in all HD models)

A normal gas cap on the Touring bikes, what’s up with the whole huge chrome console thing anyway? What’s wrong with just a tank with a gas cap?

A couple of super nice changes would be “Adjustable windshield (up and down)”,
“tire pressure monitor” and “on board air system to adjust/moniter the shock pressure”.

And the radio? Don’t get me started with that.

Cruise control for Softails, that’s one of the reason I switched to a Touring bike.

I’m sure there is more, but I’m actually pretty happy with mine.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Lots of good suggestions here. My favorites:
On board suspension adjustment
On board windshield adjustment
More power / Less heat
Balanced AND rubber mounted engines
Useable tire valves
Solid Billet Motorcycle Tire Valves! 82° Stem! Bought these, great product
Better sound system
Comfortable seat
I'm sure there are more, most of the suggestions are good ones, good thread idea!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct!

Originally Posted by mongomark
Due to the pussification of the American male, men became part of an endangered species. Eyes looking at shoes when a hot girl walks by, eats buckets of crap to whoever serves it to them and ***** the size of mustard seeds.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by producer
Correct!

Originally Posted by mongomark
Due to the pussification of the American male, men became part of an endangered species. Eyes looking at shoes when a hot girl walks by, eats buckets of crap to whoever serves it to them and ***** the size of mustard seeds.
LOL! All of this chest-beating, internet bad-assery, "I'm not really a badass, I just play one on the intar-webz" stuff cracks me up.

Sounds like you boys need to visit Texas more often. We've got HUGE mustard seeds here, cuz ya know..."everything's bigger in Texas!".

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83

I guess everyone's definition of proper is a little different.
It is, and I don't mean to come down on anyone who likes the '10 Road Glides. Fas as I'm concerned, a Road Glide Ultra Limited would be a winner all the way around.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re-route the front exhaust pipe so you can get the cam cover off without removing the whole exhaust system!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SE Compensator standard

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

After reading all the comments, I think most are pretty much just personal touches and I think its fair for each person to spend their own extra money for their own personal touches.

True maybe they do run a little hot, but I've seen the engineers working on that problem the last few years with shutting off the rear cylinder and moving the exhaust under the frame. Not enough? well you can't say they aren't trying.

Remember the front wheel wobble that tortured us with many discussions and after market fixes. The 09 frame was a major engineering improvement that not only fix the problem, but made the bike handle even better.

In fact, I have two friends, one who rides a Yamaha and the other a Honda telling me how they wish their companies would update and add changes to their line of bikes as fast as Harley. They are always coming to me checking on what Haley is coming out with next. The Honda rider really wants that new 48. The Yamaha rider keeps talking about the Vrod Muscle.

Truth is Harley probably listens to customer comments and makes changes to those comments more than any other bike manufacturer. And as much as folks complain that they need more room between the tank and engine so that it would be easier to clean the engine (that’s a new one), it is already a great bike.

One thing I really like about my Harley is that it still looks new and in style while not looking much different from a 1995 Harley bagger. A 2000 Goldwing just looks old. And yet, my 09 has all the latest in new technology like ABS and fuel injection that wasn't there in 1995. I know some here don’t consider those to be improvements to the bike, but they can’t say that Harley engineers aren’t staying busy.

My neighbor bought a BMW a couple years ago with every option offered. The only option on his bike I wouldn’t mind on my at the time RKC was an adjustable windshield. We played around a little bit on how to do that on my bike but eventually agreed it just wouldn’t look the same. My neighbor never complained about his BMW and never really acted too excited with my RKC or my SG, but he traded that BMW for a Road King a few weeks ago and admits he is much happier now.

Beary

Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by screws4156
I guess I would ask them to think of a way to either vent or draft the heat from the rear jug. So it goes under the bike rather tham out the sides into the riders legs.
Hey, I use that air to warm my hands in winter!! lol

Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
sprintrps
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is simple....make it so the speedo on my RKC doesn't mist up. How this cannot be an easy fix on a 20K bike is a mystery.

Quick Reply: If you could tell Harley engineers to fix something what would it be?