Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could tell Harley engineers to fix something what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Warrenty is over and now she's starting to leak underneath!!!! WTF!!!!..........

Also fix that POS nut that hold the seat screw on the rear fender on FLHX. It's made from crap metel.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd want them to fix all their service techs, so the recording says something other than "They all sound like that, that's normal" when you pull their string.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
-WOOD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a better crankshaft and gear driven cams to make the engine life longer.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a lot of things some of you want to change are what make Harley bikes what they are.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,509 Likes on 22,673 Posts

The heat issues that the newer bikes have.
The cost to purchase one of their bikes,
which have always been HORRENDOUSLY ridiculous..

Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bikefxds
Hey man this is probably one of the finest threads I've ever read! Here's my suggestions to the "tech" wizards who don't ride but think they've got any business being in R & D:
1. Figure something out to replace those pathetic saddle bag springs that break religiously every six months.
2. Go back to one turn signal button to activate both turn signals like the old Honda's used to have.
3. Find a clear coat that won't scratch when you look at it! And while you're at it, get a better scheme for the inner fairing paint---two years in the sun and it looks like it's been on there for 10 years!
4. Give me a rear touring tire that goes more than 10K! I don't ride these things up and down my driveway...I go cross country.
5. 10-4 on the inner fairing brackets...make 'em so they don't break at 5K miles
6. Put on a stock center stand so we don't have to spend $250 on an after market one.
I'm sure there's more, but I'm wearing myself out. Don't get me wrong, my Electraglides have consistently been the most comfortable touring rides I've ever been on and I've been at this for over 40 years. I love my Harleys...I just ain't in love with the upkeep that suggests I'm hard on these bikes when I'm not!
I don't understand where some of you get your complaints from. I guess I've been lucky because I haven't experienced any of these issues. My saddlebag latches still work fine after more than 25K. H-D has the best turn signal layout of all the big bikes imho. I'll give you one for the clearcoat since it seems that it could be a bit more durable. My rear tire went 21K before changing and I, too, ride my bike cross country. Inner fairing brackets still holding up fine. +1 on the center stand.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Only complaint I have is the noisy top end... rest of the bike is great.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM
jtomhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You Mean There are Problems with These Harleys?

No way!

Most of the stuff I've read here amounts to nitpicking. For example, valve noise. No sheet, Mon. Es un Harley, Hombre.

You can upgrade your way out of desert heat via fuel tuning, etc., but you should have an oil cooler standard on the bike when it's oil and air cooled.

Not everyone's compensator and/or cranks twist and shout, but the SE compensator should be standard issue by now. And under no circumstances should any crank twist. Ever. The weakest part of a Harley engine (yet should be the stoutest) resides in the utmost remote recesses, the bowels of the engine (and I mean that with the implied connotation) where it costs mega-labor just get to it to fix it. That means Torrington Case, pegging and tig welding, along with Timken Bearing assembled by human hands come standard so cranks and their bearings don't fail--That's right, top-shelf parts and attention to detail are needed here. This is the one aspect of manufacture that if performed diligently spares service departments the necessity to tear down an entire engine, which consumes 20-25 hours labor? Honestly, how much longer and how much more does it cost to make a bullet-proof crank at the factory with nice balanced flywheels with zero run out?

25 hours and fifteen to twenty-five hundred bucks gets you peace of mind when you want to go 103", let alone gear-driven cams nowadays?

John

Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,509 Likes on 22,673 Posts

Originally Posted by jtomhd
No way!

Most of the stuff I've read here amounts to nitpicking. For example, valve noise. No sheet, Mon. Es un Harley, Hombre.

You can upgrade your way out of desert heat via fuel tuning, etc., but you should have an oil cooler standard on the bike when it's oil and air cooled.

John
Already there on both. It's still hot.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

make a bike for us bigger guys.

Quick Reply: If you could tell Harley engineers to fix something what would it be?