Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring through the Sierra Nevada's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Touring through the Sierra Nevada's

Wife and I are headed to Mammoth Lakes, CA in late July for a family reunion, and were coming down from western WA. What would be a scenic yet fairly quick route down? The reason I say "fairly quick" is my wife only gets off a few days before we leave so I need to get there in 2.5 days, and ~850 miles depending on the route. After that we have over a week to get home, and plan on doing the west coast hwy (1 & 101) back home.

What are must see areas while we're there, and a good route from Mammoth Lakes to the coast? Anything else you can throw my way would be great. Also, if anyone in the area is headed that way in late July (22-23) look me up and maybe we can make a ride of it. And if you're headed up the 1/101 the following week, look me up as well. Always nice to hook up with fellow riders. Anyone else in the 'tween areas let me know as well.

Thanks, Jon

Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably the best and,quickest would be 395 straight to mamoth.Good ride and you can make time on it.There is'nt really a bad way back to the coast just pick a road but,if you like riding out of the way places try pashnit.com,if there is a road they have missed I don't think it exist's.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
1stultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think cutting across Northern California to the 395 is a good idea. It's a pretty, fast and well maintained road. Going back across the state to the coast there's only one way in my mind; through Yosemite Valley. It's the first road across the Sierras to the north of Mammoth and it's amazing if you've never seen the Valley. To the south of Mammoth you could go through Tehachapi and Bakersfield to the coast but that's a whole lot of desert and the long way around. Once west of the Sierras you can head southwest toward Monterey or northwest toward San Francisco. There's a cool road from Santa Cruz, Hwy 9 I believe, that'll take you through the redwoods to Alices restaurant (pretty good grub and tons of bikes to look at) and back to the 101 south of SF. Once across the Golden Gate the 1 is amazing. Point Reyes, Bodega Bay, John Muir wilderness.....That's about as far north as I can speak to but it sounds like you and the little woman are going to have a great ride.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Going down, since you need to make time, I would take I-5 all the way into Mount Shasta. Then head east on 89. Take a left on 44. Follow that into Susanville and then pick up 395 all the way to Mammoth.

After you're done in Mammoth, head west on the most direct route to Hollister (just Google map it). You have to stop in Hollister at Johnny's for a drink, but I may be biased.....

From there get on 1 and don't get off until it dead ends into 101 at Leggett. You won't be sorry.

Zach

Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM
M1garandfan
Advanced

Mt Lassen, Chester, Quincy, Truckee, Eastern coast of Lake Tahoe, to Carson City, 395 south to Mammoth lakes. Tioga Pass to the western Sierra

Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks fellas, I'll check out the maps and see how these roads look. I appreciate the help!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Jon;

Younger bro and I took I-5 to Washougal, hwy 14 up-river (on the north side) to N.Bonneville, crossed the Bridge Of The Gods, I-84 to Hood River and a pint of microbrew, south down hwy 35 past the foot of Mt.Hood, hwy 26 SE to hwy 97 at Madras, loop around the W.side of Crater Lk, out Munson Valley Rd to hwy 62 and SE back to 97, at K-Falls hwy 39 SE to Merrill, down the W.side of Tule Lk and thru Lava Beds nat'l monument, out to hwy 139 and 299 to Alturas, down 395 to Reno, to Truckee, down W.side of Tahoe, to Markleeville, hwy 89 over Monitor Pass, down hwy 395 to hwy 108 over Sonora Pass, to 120 thru Yosemite and back out to 395.

This is a scenic and awesome route...we'll prob'ly be following it again when the 6 of us head to Arizona next week.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM
troy.j
Road Captain

ride thru Yosemite! thats all i can say

Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Return thru hwy. 120 then hit hwy 49 north,hwy 20 west,hwy5 north,hwy36west to hwy 1.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 05-06-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

The route Biggzed suggested is a good one. It will take you thru Reno and past Lake Tahoe. If you have the time take a ride over Mt. Rose to the lake (about 30 minutes) then
loop around to 50 and take back down to 395 at the south side of Carson City.

Quick Reply: Touring through the Sierra Nevada's