Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overcharging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
ffd796
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overcharging?

A few weeks back I had SE-204 Cams installed with a PC III and D&D Fatcat, and let me tell you the bike runs great.... Now for the problem, about a week after the install I was playing around on the highway with a friend and banged the rev limiter and my check engine light came on .
Before I could even pull over it was off and the bike was running fine so I continued on to my next stop (about 4 miles). After shutting down the bike and restarting it i noticed the the light came back on for a second telling me that I had a stored code.

The next day I took the bike down to my local HD shop and had them pull the code for me (as a free service) and the tech said it was something ignition blah blah but since it was not staying he just cleared it and wanted to see if it would come back.

On my way home from the dealer I was really looking at my gauges and noticed that my voltage gauge seamed to be running a bit high like 15 volts so i decided to check that when I got home. I pulled off the seat and put a meter on my battery as the bike was running around 2k and it showed 14.5 to 14.7.....

I thought it was just a fluke so I let it go; however, on my last ride we were messing around again in the top of the RPM range and the light came back on!!!!!!!!!!! It did go off a few minutes later but now I have that stored code again....

Now for my question, would you change the voltage regulator and if yes, is this something I should just do myself. I know where it is and I assume that it is just a unbolt and unplug type job but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Your voltage reading is right where it should be, nothing wrong with your charging system. The fault code had nothing to do with charging system. Sounds like something regarding the ignition set the code...ignition blah blah blah doesn't sound like an actual part on your bike though.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

First, check the code and see what it is. The PCIII is famous for throwing codes at times as it is a piggy back modem on the ECM. It could simply be a rich condition code, etc. It may have nothing to do with the charging system. I wouldn't just go changing the VR without completely testing my charging system.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM
ffd796
Cruiser

Thanks, the only reason that I am leaning to the VR is because the gauge really looks to be high and I am thinking that it is overcharging at the High RPM range... Thanks for the help, I guess that I will have to bring the bike in to the Indy that did the work and see what he comes up with. I can't stand that light coming on.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Check the code yourself and tell us what the code is.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

My Voltage Gauge always read high on my 08 EGS.. In Actuality was spot on when did a accurate voltage test of the charging system.. Really Don't Believe thats your problem ..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM
ffd796
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dawg
Check the code yourself and tell us what the code is.
How do i do this without the reader, I was told there is a way; however, I am not sure of the steps?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word "diag" should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word "none" will appear if there are no DTC's. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC's are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC's again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

ffd796.search---" identify trouble codes and clear them" in the files. Easy to do and explains what the codes mean.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ yep what Dawg said........

Quick Reply: Overcharging?