Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New sest with smarttune issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New sest with smarttune issue

Just purchased the new HD tuner with smarttune the cables and learning disk,software. Thought that i could do my own tune after i put air filter and catless head pipe on. I spent a couple hours going over the learning disk and am not too comfortable doing this by myself. I installed the software on my computer and got as far as plugging the vci into the computer. It tells me that my computer should show that it has found new hardware and i have to install the drivers when prompted for it to communicate with the bike. I get no sign of it connected to the computer and HD can't answer if it needs to be connected to the motorcycle to power the vci so it shows on my computer. Does anyone know if it needs to be connected to the bike for my computer to show it has found new hardware and allow me to install the drivers?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
mtowner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It needs to be connected to the bike. Then you will see the new hardware connection...

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default thank you

Originally Posted by mtowner
It needs to be connected to the bike. Then you will see the new hardware connection...
Dealers service department plus HD's tech line could'nt tell me anything but there is something wrong with my computer. I hope that this vci is easier to work with than the instructions make it out to be. It's got me quite intimidated. So found new hardware shows up when i plug into bike and computer is this when it marries to the motorcycles vin?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Shot Duracell a PM he had the same issue last night with his. good luck.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mainshaft
Shot Duracell a PM he had the same issue last night with his. good luck.
Not really sure how to find Duracell. I was hoping more had used this smartune vs some of the other tuners. I just didn't want to plug it into the bike until i was a little more familiar with operating it.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:51 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I just talked to him, he has a different fuel managment system then you. When I read your issue I thought he could help, I knew he had a drive issue with his and he got it working. I hope you figure it out.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser

It does't marry to the bike untill you load a new progrom to the bike. You can power it up by connecting to the bike, without locking it to that bike. The directions are not allways clear, but it is easy to learn, and kinda hard to screw up. If you run into a problem just ask, someone here will have an answer.

I have been impressed with the software and the tune I got with it, plus its a good toy to play with.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default New software

I've been studying the new software and got a couple tech tips sheets from HD customer service. I sure hope this is easier to adjust than it looks like reading all the info. I'm pretty good with mechanics but this VCI has got me nervous. HD really hates to help you out on this so it just makes me more obsessed with doing it myself. Thanks to some on here i figured out you have to plug the vci into the bike to download the drivers. They really don't make that clear and they will argue at HD support that you don't have to plug it into the bike to see new hardware on your laptop. Some members on here are a real help I'm nervous HD might put a contract out on a couple of them to quiet them up. There are enough owners that would not consider adjusting their own efi that they should be more helpful to the ones that spend the money for all the needed tooling to tune themselves. This kind of support they give forces many to go to after market tuners like PC5, look at the assistance you get from Fuel Moto and some others. They make you very comfortable with their parts and services.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser

There is definatly better suport for the PC than the SEPST. However once you use the the Super tuner a few times it becomes easier. I stll have to retrain myself every time I use it. I printed out the user manuel so I can have it available.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

The new version of SEPST gives you the option to save the MAP on your bike, save it before you re-MAP it, then if something goes wrong you can revert back to the original MAP. Don't get intimidated by it, software is basically dumb, it only does what the OP tells it to, you'll do fine.

Quick Reply: New sest with smarttune issue