Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New sest with smarttune issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

The software is really not that complicated after using it a few times. The biggest problem I've read from most new users is that they have forgotten to turn BOTH the main ignition switch AND the thumb switch ON in order to have the VCI, bike and laptop all communicate with one another.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will it offer that option when first coupled?

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The new version of SEPST gives you the option to save the MAP on your bike, save it before you re-MAP it, then if something goes wrong you can revert back to the original MAP. Don't get intimidated by it, software is basically dumb, it only does what the OP tells it to, you'll do fine.
I've updated the software and it has added a tech tip section on my main page screen. I see that it talks about reprogramming the vci at initial hookup to the motorcycle. My question is will the vci update from the software update that i already did or do i have to reconnect to the internet again for the vci reprogramming? I haven't even attached this vci to the motorcycle yet as i am waiting for Fuel motos catless headpipe which i will install with a/c and slipon. I'm suppose to see add new hardware when i connect to the motorcycle and will be asked to install the drivers for the vci from what i understand. Would it make sense to save the stock calibration map before i put the new one in? I moved the map that i see as the base map i should use over to the install area and i notice they already have a map put in there for a modified 110 cubic inch motor,i didn't put it in there i'm hoping it is just to show where they go. It seems like it showed up after the software update as i don't see it on my desktop computer that i didn't update the software on. Can't seem to delete it either. Thanks for the info this site will be about the only help available for the new tuner.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser

You need to be connected to the bike and to the internet to update the VCI. The software update is separate from the VCI update. I had to update the VCI twice since I got it in January. I don't think you can save the original stock program. I really don't see any reason to save it anyway if you have modified the engine. Any new program you can save.

Last edited by chasswartz; 05-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

If the SEPST is like the SEST, you'll see a tool box in the upper left hand corner when you click on the "I agree" button that opens up the software. Click on that "tool box" to see a picture of a vci in the lower left hand corner. The vci has cross-hatching across it until your have your computer hooked to your bike and the bike is turned on to where you hear the fuel pump running. Have your computer hooked up to the internet when you do all of this.
When all that is done, you can click on the vci box on the screen and it will tell you if the vci needs updated.

Do not be afraid to use the software; I have placed close to 40 + tunes on my bike and as long as you saved the programs you place in your bike. You can always go back and put one in that you knew ran well. The auto tune feature should be icing on the cake.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Yep, what they said. they beat me to it. LMAO

Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Lots of info in the tech tips and user manuals

Think i'm trying to take in too much info at once. I'm having a little trouble drawing the line between what i need to know and what does not pertain to my smarttune adjustments. Spending some time studying the tips and user manuals while waiting for my headpipe and install. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Deleting a calibration file

I dragged a base map over into my stored calibrations that i don't need somehow. I can't figure out how to delete it or know if i have to delete it ? I also have the one that i am going to install as my base in there. It might not matter but it is bothering me that i can't remove it from the stored calibrations box as it isn't even the same cubic inch.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser

It should not matter just be sure to open the one you want to install. Good luck, it is a fun toy to play with.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
I dragged a base map over into my stored calibrations that i don't need somehow. I can't figure out how to delete it or know if i have to delete it ? I also have the one that i am going to install as my base in there. It might not matter but it is bothering me that i can't remove it from the stored calibrations box as it isn't even the same cubic inch.
Just go into the location on your hardrive where the file is stored and delete it.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by chasswartz
It should not matter just be sure to open the one you want to install. Good luck, it is a fun toy to play with.
I'm thinking it is going to be interesting. How many times do you think that you need to smarttune after the base map is installed? When you go in for the hd download after you put an air filter and exhaust on is it one of the ones that they give you in the files of this software?

Quick Reply: New sest with smarttune issue