Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another PCIII USB question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010 | 09:37 AM
sargek
|
Road Warrior
Default Yet another PCIII USB question

2007 Ultra with a PCIII USB, SE dry AC and Rinehart slipons - I have a question about the PCIII: from my reading here on the forums, this unit is supposed to be installed with O2 sensor eliminators, correct? I can only see one O2 sensor, there may be more, but the one I see right behind the rear jug is definately hooked up. Is this a problem? Totally new to FI and I just don't want to be unwittingly frying something.

From what I have read here, this particular unit needs a 9 volt adapter to power it while it is hooked to a computer, is that correct? I do not have one - are these available from Powercommander? I wanted to check the map to see which one is in it, out of curiousity mainly.

My biggest concern is that since the bike was bought used with the PCIII installed, I want to be sure the install is correct. My plugs are white, which to my old-school brain says lean, but the book says white is OK. There is no blistering or "shinyness" on the center ceramic portion of the plug. Overall, the bike seems to run fine, no decel popping, etc, and as I figure out the best shift points and riding style for this beast, my mileage has crept up a bit from 35 on the initial tank to 40 on the last tank. I am inclined to just "don't fix it if it ain't broke", but I am too damn curious for my own good...

Thanks in advance for any advice, appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2010 | 09:44 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

It is possible the 02 sensors are in teh pipes but the wiring is not hooked up to the bike. Quite often the installs are done this way if the new pipes do not come with plugs for the 02 sensor ports. Tan is where we want out plugs to be.

Old 05-04-2010 | 10:03 AM
sargek
|
Road Warrior

The O2 sensors are definately in the pipes and the connectors are hooked to the wiring harness, that's what concerned me when I read the PCIII installation instructions. Yeah, tan is where I have always felt plugs should be as well, but the book lists white and tan as acceptable colors. Maybe because from the factory they are set up to run lean to satisfy the EPA or whatnot.

Old 05-04-2010 | 01:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Follow the cable coming from the sensor on the header pipe on both cylinders. At about
12" it should end with a plug "eliminator" in the connection. If the cable doesn't end in about 12" and continues to the ecm, you don't have eliminators.
Most people leave the 02 sensors in the headers.

Old 05-04-2010 | 02:19 PM
sargek
|
Road Warrior

That's what I thought - looks Like I don't have the eliminators and the sensors are still plugged into the harness. What is the effect of not running them?

Old 05-04-2010 | 07:03 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sargek
That's what I thought - looks Like I don't have the eliminators and the sensors are still plugged into the harness. What is the effect of not running them?
The first thing I would do is pull the right side cover and see if you actually have a PC111.
If you do, I would contact jamie at Fuelmoto and ask what to do. I don't think the PC can work properly the way you describe the connections.
If you don't have one, take it up with the seller.

Old 05-05-2010 | 06:17 AM
sargek
|
Road Warrior

I already know I have a PCIII, but it's not from FuelMoto, it's the Powercommander. I downloaded the PCIII USB instructions from their (powercommander's) web site and it tells you you use the O2 sensor eliminators so you are right, I don't think it is supposed to be installed this way.

Old 05-05-2010 | 07:29 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sargek
I already know I have a PCIII, but it's not from FuelMoto, it's the Powercommander. I downloaded the PCIII USB instructions from their (powercommander's) web site and it tells you you use the O2 sensor eliminators so you are right, I don't think it is supposed to be installed this way.
Fuelmoto is the largest seller of Power Commanders. They also sell there own branded unit which is a modified PC. You said you bought the bike used so I assume you looked behind the cover to to see for sure you have a PC.
There will still be a cable attached at the 02 sensor but will be disconnected at the other end.
Fuelmoto, even if you didn't buy it from them, will likely help you. They are know for it.
If you don't have the eliminators you will need to buy them anyway so give them a call.

Old 05-05-2010 | 08:20 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's a couple of pictures. The first is the 9 volt connector & one 02 eliminator. The second is of the eliminator in place on the wire harness for the rear cylinder of my '07 Road Glide.

You can buy the eliminators & the connector, probably from FuelMoto, & surely from PowerCommander.

Attached Thumbnails Yet another PCIII USB question-dsc01336.jpg   Yet another PCIII USB question-dsc01337.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010 | 10:24 AM
sargek
|
Road Warrior

Beautiful - a picture is worth a thousand words. I have neither of those. Thanks much, appreciate the post.

Quick Reply: Yet another PCIII USB question