Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" Build ..............what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:51 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,733 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default RE: 95" Build ..............what do you think?

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

$108 for the SE flattops or $330 for the Wild Things.

I forgot to mention............this is a budget build........a cheap budget.............LOL

Steve

You get what you pay for.....doing a cheap build will cost you more later when you re-do it the correct way.
I have been down that road trying to save money and used Andrews 37 cam, only to have a mediocre running bike that pinged on almost every tank of gas used. I have yet to have starter to kick back and I do not have compression releases. 10 to 1 WILL PING with the 37 cam.
[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 08-13-2006, 11:17 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Jeepster... 37's will ping @ 9.7:1 (let alone more), if ya don;t have good quality 93 octane gas, and 26's need less compression than a 37. Andrews will tell ya 9.25:1 max for the 26's.

It is a fine line and compression ratio and cams must compliment one another or you will be bumm'in..... for sure!

I thought I read some numbers on the Kuryakyn site from 95" build w/flat-tops & stock heads using 2G's. There no way they have that kind of compression in that config. Seems like I recall the 2G's having some overlap, where the 37's and 26's (Andrews) do not. That may help a bit with "kick back" problems on higher comp builds.....???....

One of us needs to call and talk to them to see what they really recommend, compression-wise, for the 2G's. If they are "happy" with 9.7~9.8:1, then they just might be the ticket....

Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In a reliable and dependable street build, the SE cast flat top pistons are hard to beat at any cost. They are manufactured by the same company that manufactures the stock 88" cast pistons. The same pistons that are designed for well over 100,000 miles of service.

Unless you are planning to run compression over 10.5:1 or plan to exceed 6200 RPM's or plan to use some sort of boost like a turbo, blower or NOS the SE Cast Flat Top pistons are an excellent choice.

There is difference between an inexpensive build and a cheap build.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

It's not a question of an inexpensive or cheap build....it's a question of using the right combination of parts. Cast would be fine with the right combo....Just USE the right combo so you don't end up having to buy parts twice.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

It's not a question of an inexpensive or cheap build....it's a question of using the right combination of parts. Cast would be fine with the right combo....Just USE the right combo so you don't end up having to buy parts twice.
That is why I'm asking the questions here............I'm looking for the right combo to go with the SE Cast Flattops.

If the 37Gs or 26Gs are not the right ones, then I don't use them. If the TC-2G will run good with this combo, I'll go with them. I'm open to all tips and tricks at this point............this is my research stage.

Steve

Old 08-14-2006, 11:34 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

The Andrews 26g should work fine with this combo.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, curiosity got the best of me on this one...

I called Kuryakyn today about this. I believe the guy I spoke with was Gene.

He said that they like 10.5:1 with both 2G and 26G. The difference is the lift on the the intake valve(s). The 2G has .510 and the 26G has .575. The recommend 10.5:1 for both cams and they "say" that because of the cam(s) profile and (as I suspected) overlap, there are no starting or pinging issues. In fact, they say you don;t even need compression releases and they are supposed to run on 91 octane fuel.

To use the 26's you will need to have the spring seat machined down and clearenced for "high-lift" springs.

Armed with this info, I might have done my most recent rebuild a little differently.

So..... Steve.... I say go for it and let us know.

Springer_ ~ have you guys done any motors with either Kuryakyn 2G's or 26G's? If so, what were your thoughts?

Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

LOL.............so I'm down to Andrews 26G's or Wild Thing TC-2G's.

I'm going to send an email to Mike Roland and see what he says about it......he is the "man" at Wild Things.

Steve

Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I think the 26G Philm was referring to was the WT TC-26g, not the Andrews. The WT TC-26G is a high lift version of the TC-2g.

SB

Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Seminolebagger

Steve,
I think the 26G Philm was referring to was the WT TC-26g, not the Andrews. The WT TC-26G is a high lift version of the TC-2g.

SB
Yes, I know that.

Jeepster was referring to the Andrews 26G.

Steve

Quick Reply: 95" Build ..............what do you think?