Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk center stands

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:20 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I should have been more specific; I have an 09 Ultra with standard suspension.

So on your 10 model, does the Pitbull work with the Wheeldock (no shims)?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Just thought I'd update this.

After all the recommendations here and elsewhere, I decided on the Wheeldock EZ-Up stand. After about a month and 4,000 miles of riding with it, I took it off and sold it.

I wanted the stand primarily to make it easier for my wife to get on and off the bike (she's 5'2"). Right in the directions (but nowhere on their site) it says that it can't be used when a passenger is on the bike. No biggie, but it was also nearly impossible to use the stand when the bike had any load on it at all.

But the worst thing was that it dragged everywhere. It dragged on speed bumps, driveway entrances, and rough roads. And forget aggressive cornering. The reduction in clearance was completely unacceptable. On rough roads, severe bumps allow the stand to hinge down, so you get to hear and feel it slamming back up against the frame.

With all that said, the bike was rock-steady on the few occasions I was able to use the thing, but for cleaning and such, I'll just use my jack.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks train, that was the kind of review I was guessing it would get. Lack of ground clearance is a no-go. I guess the only way to combat it would be with adjustable air shocks...

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update on Harley Center Stand.

I have raised my passenger foot boards to the highest level and this has made it easier to use the center stand. It gives plenty of ground clearance and does not interfere with the Harbor Freight Jack I use to raise the bike for cleaning. For now I'm leaving it on.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:14 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't know how well the pics show the beveling I did to the stand, but trust me, it drags.

Attached Thumbnails Let's talk center stands-img_0314.jpg   Let's talk center stands-img_0315.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Meathook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading the thread I decided to give installing my WHEELDOCK another shot: couldn't get it on last month and quit before doing something stupid! Still no joy.

So I e-mailed the company tonight (Sunday) and said it does not fit: must be the wrong stand. A few minutes later I got a call from the CEO who talked me through the installation process and gave me a trick for difficult installations - when Harley's welds project too far. Stand on in 3 minutes!

Any company that is so concerned about customer service gets my business every time! Anyone know of another CEO who responds to an average Joe directly on a Sunday night?!?

I'll take the check flight tomorrow, but I'm sure it is as claimed and there will be no problem.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a HD center stand once. Now I use a Wheeldock. Never looked back. I am happy with it and use it.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheeldock here for 3 years and no problems at all.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Wheeldock

I dont know how low your bikes are or what you load em up with but Ive had a wheel dock Centerstand since 06. Had it on my 05 Road King, took it off when I sold the bike. Put it on my 08 Electra Glide Classic, I love it only problem I had was once I put the bike up on centerstand on a downgrade in a driveway bike fell no damage except I ground down the end of the wheeldock stands leaver. The one call I made to them when I had an issue they helped myimmediatley and I swear by it and love it wouldnt have a bike without a Wheeldock Centerstand on it. Once and a while if I go over a high speed bump fast with the bike loaded then it hits but thats more my fault and the way I look at that instead of the frime scrapped the wheeldock took the hit!!! LOL
Just my two cents, thanks BV