Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
SKIPSTER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Custom mufflers

I was wondering is anyone has the American Custom slip-on mufflers, and are you happy with them. I just saw the add for them in this months American Iron Mag, I checked out the web site, seems like a good setup.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM
jlange322
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me you can pick up a pair of stock slipons on the cheap and turn them in for recore saving $$$$. I am also looking for someone who has tried them.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Smokee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put a set of straight cut Bombers by American Custom on my 2011 Ultra Limited FLHTK a couple of weeks ago. I love them! I got the version without the baffles. The quality is pretty good and the sound is great. The quality is not quite as good as I expected...one of the mufflers has a small (1") scratch on it (but not through the chrome) and naturally, it's the right muffler, so the scratch kinda shows when the bike is on the side stand. Looks like the sent me one brand new looking muff for the left side and a slightly more used one for the right side. But, I'm talking very minor wear here folks....not worth the trouble or the $20 to ship them back. Plus these are stock Harley mufflers that have been gutted out a bit, so they look original.

The sound is awesome...deep and rich and it will roar when you crank the throttle. Installaion is a snap; packing material and box is excellent so it's easy to repack your old mufflers and ship them in for credit ($89). Would I buy them again? Yes...in a heart beat. For a net expenditure of $179 plus $20 to ship the stock OEM mufflers back to the Am. Customs, it's a steal of a deal.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
az_steve
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a pair for my softail. They are awesome sounding on my bike too! The wife loves the rumble too!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tom-pipes.html

I personally have a lot of time invested in that one... Just tweaked them tonight (and posted in that thread).

Last edited by JohnScrip; 10-07-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Sklausen
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you just get the mufflers or also the powerflex header and did you have to re- tune anything on the bike?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Smokee
I put a set of straight cut Bombers by American Custom on my 2011 Ultra Limited FLHTK a couple of weeks ago. I love them! I got the version without the baffles. The quality is pretty good and the sound is great. The quality is not quite as good as I expected...one of the mufflers has a small (1") scratch on it (but not through the chrome) and naturally, it's the right muffler, so the scratch kinda shows when the bike is on the side stand. Looks like the sent me one brand new looking muff for the left side and a slightly more used one for the right side. But, I'm talking very minor wear here folks....not worth the trouble or the $20 to ship them back. Plus these are stock Harley mufflers that have been gutted out a bit, so they look original.

The sound is awesome...deep and rich and it will roar when you crank the throttle. Installaion is a snap; packing material and box is excellent so it's easy to repack your old mufflers and ship them in for credit ($89). Would I buy them again? Yes...in a heart beat. For a net expenditure of $179 plus $20 to ship the stock OEM mufflers back to the Am. Customs, it's a steal of a deal.

I'm glad i read this, I've been looking for this A/C site for some time, had it and lost it when the PC crashed. and was wondering how the bombers would sound on my 2010 ultra with the cat still in and no baffles and by reading what you've said about your 2011 and still having the cat, which I'm guessing you still have them in and no baffles have me convinced it will not be really to loud, since the cat will help cut back on the sound, for the price it's not bad, looks like I'm going to be getting theses in the future, one thing I'm not understanding is how do you know which muffler goes on what side?? are they marked, thanks for the info

Last edited by vtwinbob; 03-25-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
I'm glad i read this, I've been looking for this A/C site for some time, had it and lost it when the PC crashed. and was wondering how the bombers would sound on my 2010 ultra with the cat still in and no baffles and by reading what you've said about your 2011 and still having the cat, which I'm guessing you still have them in and no baffles have me convinced it will not be really to loud, since the cat will help cut back on the sound, for the price it's not bad, looks like I'm going to be getting theses in the future, one thing I'm not understanding is how do you know which muffler goes on what side?? are they marked, thanks for the info
The mufflers are identical, no left or right.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They're not identical -- There are indents that show which muffler goes on which side.
Did you just get the mufflers or also the powerflex header and did you have to re- tune anything on the bike?
At first, just the mufflers. I've since changed bikes (the AC's went with to the new bike), removed cat and Stage 1'd the new one. No retuning necessary for a muffler change.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokee

The quality (looks, not performance) is a little unpredictable, what they call like new is probably not quite like what just came off a brand new bike. It is better to do this in the winter so you can send your pipes in and wait for them to come back. But if you can't wait for yours to return and want to trade, what they send you will be in pretty good shape, just maybe not perfect.

Quick Reply: American Custom mufflers