Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 street glide radio cuts out, and smoked...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:13 AM
chubbynj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 street glide radio cuts out, and smoked...

Hi Guys, this is my first post and i have a small problem.. SO, i bought this 96 street glide about 2 months ago.. the thing is great, runs good and all, BUT the last couple days i been having a problem where when i am listening to a cd, the audio would cut out, i would switch modes, (i installed xm when i bought it) and there was still no sound.. if i shut the radio off, and turn it back on the sound would come back... first thing i thought was that it was a software problem so i updated the software.. still getting the problem, and last night riding home listening to a cd the audio cut out, and i smelled the radio burn out... so i shut it off, turn it back on, seems to work fine and after work today i went right to the harley dealer..

the service guy at harley says that it has something to do with playing burned cds in the radio.. NOW, all my music in mp3 and everything i listen to is on a burned cd, PLUS i use the mp3 feature more than anything.. he said there was a bullentin saying it might have something to do with teh brand of cd used.. did anybody hear anything about this? at the time of the "burn out" i had a cd copy playing, not a mp3 cd.. I am going from jersey to illinois next week and I want to know if i can listen to my mp3 cds or am i just going to make the radio worse..

I been searching this forum for about an hour and a half now reading everything about radio problems and if i have my harley dealer "fix" the problem, i might end up with a refurbished radio with even more problems....

sorry about my rambling, and i hope you can follow everything I typed..

If anyone heard about this issue or anything similar please tell me, its driving me crazy..

Jimmy

Old 08-13-2006, 06:22 AM
chubbynj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 06 street glide radio cuts out, and smoked...

i meant 06 not 96, please excuse my typing errors

Old 08-13-2006, 07:55 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

96 06, doesnt matter, just means you had a fat finger when you were typing. I had a problem with my audio cutting out, then my screen going blank. I havent used the cd player, but my dealer replaced the radio under warranty with a new one and I have had no more problems.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:54 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's BS on a refurb radio. You paid good money for your bike. I'd demand a new one. Of course you may run into the same thing again. I've seen a lot of posts on here about HK radio problems. Good Luck with it.