Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in rear tire but not flat what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM
09sungloflhx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its a tube tire u dont need to worry much about it if it aint leakin its not gonna prob didnt even go all the way through the tire

Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate

I'd pull it off and look at the tire. If you have a hole through the tire, I would put a plug in since you only have 75 miles on them. If they were way down on life, I'd replace the tire. J&P Cycles has them available in a small kit you can take with you.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
In my mind no leak = no problem.
1+ I agree! What do you think you will see by looking inside the tire? If the tire isn't leaking you will not have any marks inside!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you have a tube, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If you need something to satisfy your peace of mind then go have a plug patch put in. It goes in from the inside and serves as both a patch and a plug.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

It makes no sense to pull the tire and plug it. If it isn't leaking, I would not do a thing to it. Run it like you stole it. If you do pull the tire off, put a patch on the inside of the tire if there is a large hole. But I would not pull it at all. I don't understand anyone saying to pull it off and plug it. A plug is OK to get you home, but if you pull the tire off, PATCH it and be done with it.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

There could be just a couple of molecules of rubber keeping in the air. How comfortable can you possibly be to not know with any certainty how far the screw penetrated? A wheel pull and check is much cheaper than an overnight stay in the cheapest hospital in the land. Think about it.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
It makes no sense to pull the tire and plug it. If it isn't leaking, I would not do a thing to it. Run it like you stole it. If you do pull the tire off, put a patch on the inside of the tire if there is a large hole. But I would not pull it at all. I don't understand anyone saying to pull it off and plug it. A plug is OK to get you home, but if you pull the tire off, PATCH it and be done with it.
leaving it will only lead to more damage, i would replace the tire and truly be done with it. why would anyone leave a metal object in a motorcycle tire is way beyond me. safety issue in my eyes. a patch and plug would be better than the metal in the tire by anymeans but replacing would be best. yeah i know the cost $$ but is tire worth your life?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Since you have a tube, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If you need something to satisfy your peace of mind then go have a plug patch put in. It goes in from the inside and serves as both a patch and a plug.
Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
This is what I was speaking of. Much better than just a patch.

Attached Thumbnails Screw in rear tire but not flat what to do?-images.jpg  
Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There's only 2 tires underneath you for christs sake, if you want to save a few bucks run the black oil filter instead of the chrome one and put a new tube and tire on.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
This is what I was speaking of. Much better than just a patch.

Now you're talking! I would patch it with that and roll on, never think about it again. A patched tire is as good as a brand new one, unless there was a tear or large hole. Then ya ****-can it and start anew.

Quick Reply: Screw in rear tire but not flat what to do?