Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Certified Drunk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the cams flipped, Is the front cam in the rear cylinder and the rear in the front? This would cause the cams to be out 180*

Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
Are the cams flipped, Is the front cam in the rear cylinder and the rear in the front? This would cause the cams to be out 180*

You can't flip the cams.......

Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like its either push rods in wrong or cams not aligned, something thats affecting both cylinders, don't think you have a valve hanging up. but you checked all that. Are these new cams?, possibly ground wrong, I doubt it, but I am running out of ideas.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,067 Likes on 22,569 Posts

Subscribed, even though not sure that functiion works anymore.
Good luck I hope you get it figured out. Keep us posted, as many of us will be going down this road..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Wrench53
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about this but, I don't think you can use STOCK pushrods with that cam. The difference in lift is about .065, so when they pump up they may be bottoming out in the bore. As I said not 100% sure and will look at cam lifts and lifter bore lenghts later and post it.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, you can use stock pushrods with that cam. It's a bolt-in cam.

Last edited by cuda67bnl; 05-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I used my stock push rods on my 103 upgrade

I had pulled the fuel pump fuse when I started the job and forgot I had pulled it out. spent over and hour trying to figure out why I didnt have spark. guess a sensor must look at fuel pressure to get spark on.

Attached Thumbnails RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!-37-cam-box-out.jpg   RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!-36-timing-dots.jpg   RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!-29-crank-flats.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I tore it all down again and checked everything and conversed with Dawg and PhilM extensively. I even sent PhilM several pics. But it is doing the same thing again tonight what a bummer! I have checked everything many many times I don't know what it could be. I know that the SE 255 is a bolt in cam and many have used the stock pushrods in all of my research before I even dove into this dang thing. All I can think of is possibly I got some bogus cams. But they are stamped CVO255 and they were never used. I compared them to the stock before I put them in and they are close as far as lobe layout and measure about 5mm larger in circumfrence on the lobes. It would be intersting to see if I could get it to work with adjustable push rods may go there or just may put the stock cams back in to see if it will fire up with those. Man I feel like such and idiot but i know this was a simple job and read read and read some more but there is something I am not seeing and not riding right now!!! Keep it coming you think of anything else. Thanks

Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I never saw yor reply to blowing smoke thru the compression hose. If the stock P.R. will work and you stated that they would spin w/ both valves closed why would you look towards adjustable P.R. I'm not a HD mechanic but I would be looking for where my compression went. I also know that when I make a mistake and keep going over it I repete the same mistake ( missing the problem) If you have some one else go thru it with your literature watching them might help you see what you missed!

Good luck I'm sure it's simple and that you will find it.

Russ

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

50 psi in each cylinder is odd. When I did my 103 build I had the cams off by a tooth. It can happen. In my case the front cylinder had 190 psi and the rear like 120. Both cylinders being low is very strange.

You have both cam chain tensioners tight right? Not sure that would do it, but it could cause the chain to slip and not open everything correctly. That's a reach.

Try cranking it over with the rocker box tops off. See if you can see anything binding or otherwise not working properly.

Interested to hear this one.

Zach

Quick Reply: RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!