Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Okay, Sickbagger, I confess I don't understand this. I don't have the cams to look at, but I thought the 255's were a one-piece grind, presumably made from a single chunk of steel and ground at the instruction of a computer--i.e. not the pressed-together pieces that make up the stock cams.

This is true

So by "large cog" do you mean the key on the splined section of the rear cam?

Yes that is what I mean.

Later on you said it might've been the sprocket, and I presume you mean the inner sprocket on the cam, so how could that be off since it is a symmetrical unit with equal-sized cogs all-round.

No not the inner sprockets at all they are all good

Was it the mark on this sprocket that was off?

Yes and no. The key on the splined cam is off which in turn throws the mark off on the rear cam outer sprocket in relation to the camp plate mark and crank mark.

I'm probably dense and am probably missing something obvious, but I'd really like to get a grip on this and appreciate your patience.

Not dense from what I have read iclick, It is my discriptions that are throwing you the curves. I am here till we all learn and save another sole out this one.

Also, what is the best method for a person to determine if the cams are made right and the usual procedure for installation can be followed?

The fastest way to determine if these cams is exactly what TT296 says. "some of our cams are marked at the 4th groove clockwise from the key on the splined cam they should be marked at the 6th groove clockwise of the key on the splined cam. If you only have 4 grooves from the key on the splines you have these cams. BUT what the TT296 does not tell you is how to fix this problem it LEADS you to beleive that you simply align the cams with the dot on the front cam to the 6th groove on the rear cam and install the rear chain. But when you do this you will see that the lobe alignment as compared to your stock cams if you stack them on top of each other to compare go WAY WRONG. Completly humuors is if you continue to put it together this way like I did you will find that when you place the cam gears on and the timing marks magically line up between the rear cam mark, crank mark and the cam plate mark. You think oh boy thank God for that TT296 whewww!!!! WRONG rear cam is still out of time!

At this point I don't have a clue, and again I'm glad the cams I put in my bike and another set in a friend's bike were correct, as it never occurred to me that they could be faulty.
So the thing TO DO when you have spotted these cams think of me of course and the tuition I have paid for us and here is what you do. Align the cams in the cam plate dot to dot just like normal and bolt her in. Then you already know you have your crank positioned where she is suppossed to be. Now your going to have to put the chain on the cam and crank gear and you WILL NOT be using the dot on the rear cam gear forget about it PERIOD! What you will do is count 4 valleys counter clock wise on the rear cam sprocket from the stock mark and this is where you need to place your new timing mark. Or the way it was done on mine is place the large cam gear on and the crank gear on put a new mark on the large cam gear right now right where it is. Everything will just fall onto the cam and crank shafts at this point but the original cam mark is the only thing that is off all other timing marks are where they belong. (if you recall this is one of first posts for help I had to rotate the rear cam to get the dots to line up on the cam and crank gear)

I atthached a picture if not I will come back but what it shows is my new timing mark 4 valleys counter clockwise of the stock mark on the rear cam gear. This is with the bike all put together so I could not get the timing to stop right where they are all lined up to show you with the valve spring pressures but you can see with rotation they do line up.

Let me know if anyone need further info don't be shy I only had to cry for a month! So if you buy from a private person get a shot of the timing mark and tell you will give 50 bucks for them because the timing marks are all wrong!!!

Attached Thumbnails RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!-cams.jpg  

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 05-26-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy smoke.......that picture gives me the *****'s.

Glad you are on the move again finally, but man what an ordeal.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Yes the picture goes against all you know for sure. Thanks for hanging though it with me Indy

Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The bottom line was the power gain worth it?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by sporacer
The bottom line was the power gain worth it?
Yes but I have not riden it much and putting the Auto Tune on this weekend and do some riding to really get a feel for it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sickbagger - Wow! You have a ton of patience. i would have packed it in long before you. Congrats on getting her running again.
P.S. Pismo is beautiful. We go up a couple of times a year. There is some great riding up there. The Far Western is awesome.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Okay, tell me if this is the correct step-by-step procedure for checking and, if necessary, correcting:

1. Align the dots on the inner-sprockets as per the manual, install the inner chain, slip the cams into the cam plate, install the inner tensioner, and bolt the cam plate in place.

2. If the dot on the rear cam visible from the outside is on the 6th valley CW of the splined key you have a properly made cam and should follow the manual from here on out. OTOH if the dot is on the 4th valley CW of the key you know you have a defective cam, and should continue on to Step 3.

3. Install the outer sprockets on the crank and rear cam and bolt them in.

4. Make a new dot four valleys CCW from the original dot on the outer rear cam sprocket.

5. Line up the dots (new dot on outer rear-cam sprocket with original dot on crank sprocket), install the chain, tensioner, etc. and follow the manual for re-assembly.

Right? Now, what worries me is what if there are variations on the the factory screw-ups? IOW, we're assuming the factory screwed up a small number of cams in the same way. I think I would place the stock cams on end with the new cams beside them with lobes oriented in the same direction. Then make sure the dots are lined up the same for both pairs of cams. If they do you should know they are ground correctly. It would seem that even if the error was only one valley you could see it by eyeballing it like this and you'd know where the new dot should be placed on the outer rear-cam sprocket.

Last edited by iclick; 05-27-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagged Out
Sickbagger - Wow! You have a ton of patience. i would have packed it in long before you. Congrats on getting her running again.
Sickbagger can now say he now knows the cam chest inside and out and could probably change cams blindfolded! He's made quite a learning experience out of this, although I'm sure his cam-upgrade has gone far outside the original budget. The upside is that he is now a cam-upgrade expert and we can ask him any question knowing he'll know the answer. Are you ready for that, Donny?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bagged Out
P.S. Pismo is beautiful. We go up a couple of times a year. There is some great riding up there. The Far Western is awesome.
Bagged Out,
Thanks I can be somewhat hard headed when it comes to giving up especiall if its the wife the kids or my baby! Please PM me the next time you come my way we will ride show you some cool places to ride around here. Where are you at?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
Okay, tell me if this is the correct step-by-step procedure for checking and, if necessary, correcting:

1. Align the dots on the inner-sprockets as per the manual, install the inner chain, slip the cams into the cam plate, install the inner tensioner, and bolt the cam plate in place.

2. If the dot on the rear cam visible from the outside is on the 6th valley CW of the splined key you have a properly made cam and should follow the manual from here on out. OTOH if the dot is on the 4th valley CW of the key you know you have a defective cam, and should continue on to Step 3.

3. Install the outer sprockets on the crank and rear cam and bolt them in.

4. Make a new dot four valleys CCW from the original dot on the outer rear cam sprocket.

5. Line up the dots (new dot on outer rear-cam sprocket with original dot on crank sprocket), install the chain, tensioner, etc. and follow the manual for re-assembly.

Right? Now, what worries me is what if there are variations on the the factory screw-ups? IOW, we're assuming the factory screwed up a small number of cams in the same way. I think I would place the stock cams on end with the new cams beside them with lobes oriented in the same direction. Then make sure the dots are lined up the same for both pairs of cams. If they do you should know they are ground correctly. It would seem that even if the error was only one valley you could see it by eyeballing it like this and you'd know where the new dot should be placed on the outer rear-cam sprocket.

Iclick,
You have got it all down perfecvtly, even if the cams are different than mine just make sure the lobe TDC's are all in the same compared to the stock cams and the the cam gear goes on wherever it may be 1,2,3,4 valleys CCW. Because you have known 3 out of 4 timing marks you just make the 4th one where ever the cam gear goes on and that's your new 4th timing mark! TA DA!!! I sure hope we save someone on this if anyone finds it please come back to this post.

Quick Reply: RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!