Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:05 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again everyone down here in Long Beach Ca having a great time sail in the morning.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Subscribed.....hope you have a great time on your trip

Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

update please

Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update I can see the US from my room! YES !!! I spoke to the tuner earlier this week and he figured it out. He said the timing mark was out 59 degrees so from the 4th valley to the 6th valley I know is not 59 degrees so this is quite a bit of movement!!!!. He does have over 180 psi in both cylinders valves opening and closing and TDC happening when it should be woo hoo. I pick it up Monday morning and put her back together. I will post all of his findings and just where the proper timing mark is now. He also said he foind a bunch of steel shavings inside the push rods that came from the manufacturing process. So something we all should know to look for when using the new rods.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for the final report! I am finally going to tear into mine next Sunday. Figure I have to make the long drive to the airport in Vegas to fly Momma out for a back east visit, might as well get home and jump in on the rest of the 3-day weekend.

Not sure I follow 100% what you are saying about the timing marks........but I can wait until you are on land for further clarification.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

So does anybody have a copy of the TSB on this problem? I just don't want to get caught up in this and I'm ready to install.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM
JackmanCustomCycles
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can put piston in top dead center position (both valves closed) and can spin pushrods (they are in right) If it ran before you put cam in - recheck_ it will run if one dot is off- make sure you have all variables- fuel and spark- check and re-check

Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
Update I can see the US from my room! YES !!! I spoke to the tuner earlier this week and he figured it out. He said the timing mark was out 59 degrees so from the 4th valley to the 6th valley I know is not 59 degrees so this is quite a bit of movement!!!!.
I'm a little confused. Is the only problem that the dot is simply in the wrong place on one cam, on the 4th valley rather than the 6th as per the TSB, or was there more to it than this? If that's all that is wrong, why were you not getting 180 psi out of one cylinder once you got the dot of the other cam lined up with the 6th valley? IOW, what was wrong with your setup when you took the bike to the dealer?

It sounds like the 6th valley was still not the right place for that cam, or the other cam was out of alignment too. What a mess! I would at least try to hit HD for the service work needed because their vendor screwed up. You should not have to pay for that, although I realize that sometimes life just isn't fair.

Last edited by iclick; 05-23-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I'm a little confused. Is the only problem that the dot is simply in the wrong place on one cam, on the 4th valley rather than the 6th as per the TSB, or was there more to it than this? If that's all that is wrong, why were you not getting 180 psi out of one cylinder once you got the dot of the other cam lined up with the 6th valley? IOW, what was wrong with your setup when you took the bike to the dealer?

It sounds like the 6th valley was still not the right place for that cam, or the other cam was out of alignment too. What a mess! I would at least try to hit HD for the service work needed because their vendor screwed up. You should not have to pay for that, although I realize that sometimes life just isn't fair.
See post #88

Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Localprez
See post #88
I read that already and appreciate your opinion, but I am interested in the details of the outcome.

Last edited by iclick; 05-23-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: RED ALAERT Cam Swap Help Please@#$%!!!