Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour pack organizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Tour Pak & Saddlebag organizers for about a year now. I find them very useful to store "small stuff" (Tour Pak) & bungee cords (Saddlebag Lid Organizers). The tape didn't last long at all. On the saddlebags, I sprayed where they came loose with an industrial-strength adhesive, & used the screws for the chrome rack to mechanically secure it. On the TourPak, after spraying the portions that came loose, I overstuffed the TourPak with jackets, etc, until the glue set. No problems since.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Looks like you have a rack on top of your tour pack, run the four bolts through your organizer along with the tape and it will stay put.
What he said except rather than using 3M tape use industrial velcro (available at all Lowes and Home Depots) and it won't sag. I like mine alot.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I have the lid organizer and it holds everything I have, don't need or want side ones. The standard side pouch is more than enough. When I first got the organizer it would sag during hot weather. I went to Home Depot and got the extra heavy duty 3M double back tape and covered almost every square inch. To this day there is no sag what so ever.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I posted earlier in this thread about the side wall organizer. Thought I'd chime in again. I also have the HD lid organizer. I experienced the same sagging and falling off with the original DB tape, as others have. the TP lid rack using the bolts through the organizer seems a good fix, and will most likely use that idea, if the lid organizer in my 01' EGC begins sagging again. I used the 3M 2" wide Velcro on that one a few years ago, and hasn't come loose or off since. I don't have the same confidence in that fix as what I did in my 09' Ultra. That one lasted a few months before the DB tape failed. I prefer not to run a rack on that tour pak, so I used clear silicone and ran a bead of it all over the back, right up to the edge. When applied, I also over stuffed the TP using blankets, towels, rags even a pair of coveralls, locking it closed overnight. I opted not to use my jacket should any silicone ooze from edges. That one is fixed very well, I can tug on it at any point and it feels solid. I carry heavier items up there, air pump for shocks, flashlight and so on. I haven't had any problem with Velcro tape that came with the side wall organizer as most of the weight with stored items actually rests on the bottom of TP, and doesn't pull on the Velcro mounting system. A key factor with any of these options, DB tape, Velcro, or silicone is the cleaning of the areas you want to stick stuff to. Not at all knocking anyone else's fix just giving what has worked for me.

PS Needed to mention when using the silicone it took several days for the odor to go away. When cured 100% no detectable oder. It's rock solid and will take some effort to remove should that become needed.

Last edited by BAGGERNATE; 05-03-2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: PS
Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I agree with Nate, you have to prepare the surface correctly. After I preped the lid I put the 3M extra heavy duty tape everywhere. Then I took wood blocks and a few "C" clamps and clamped the organizer to the lid for a day and a half. 6 years later no sags.