Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's keepin' their recalled helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting topic..... 2 years ago I sent mine back after their first recall and they sent it back with in a week, the interior of the helmet looks like the only thing that was changed. I love the helmet, but not really happy that I paid big bucks for a helmet that won't pass DOT regulations. But I can't find a helmet that doesn't give me a mushroom head. I may keep it until I find one I like better and then send it back for the refund.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I'm in Illinois, where helmets are not required, I sent mine back. The main reason is because I do cross state lines to helmet states and it would be MY luck to be stopped by a cop that knew about these helmets. I'm getting too old to look over my shoulder and when I ride, I don't want this on my mind. I really could care less about what I look like when I ride too, I'm not in a fashion show, I'm just out there feeding my soul. I will replace the helmet with a real DOT, just not sure which one yet.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone know what ACC's newer headgrabber system is? I have the original velcroed foam.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Gofer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a 14 year span, the NHTSA tested 694 "DOT" helmets, only 220 passed. DOT don't mean $hit...it's a guess and gamble.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 PM
cogener8
Road Captain

Sent mine back (2 of em) bought an Eco Hybrid and love it. Seems just as light fits better and the side straps are out away from my ears now. Yeah it is bigger but it also accepts a snap on visor which will be handy in the rain.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I didn't pay $165 for a novelty helmet. Mine is back and the check is cashed. Went with an HCI carbon fiber.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM
blackrever
Tourer

Will be keeping mine!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody out there with a woman that complains about the weight of a helmet find a solution? My wife needs a helmet with a shield but does not want a FF or Modular. I want her to try a 3/4 but it needs to be lite. I am not sure if i will be returning my ACC.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I'm wondering if anyone has decided to keep their ACC carbon fiber helmet in spite of the recalled safety issue?
I was ready to send mine back but after searching for a new helmet I may be deciding to keep it.
I have purchased a Daytona Carbon Fiber helmet and sent it back. After receiving it I realized it wasn't worth nowhere what I paid for it (162.50 w/shipping). The Daytona would be a decent helmet for around $50 so if you are thinking of going with a Daytona, stick with the cheaper polycarbonate variety. Note; it did look like a mushroom on your head.
I next considered a HCI but decided against it because the weighed a little over 2 lbs and I though that may become uncomfortable after an hour or two. Also I was told by the manufacturer that it does give you a mushroom head.
So, after all that I went to my dealer and dropped $200 on a new hybrid lightweight helmet. This helmet is definity constucted well, is fairly comfortable on my head although it also creates the mushroom look and worst of all, give me bad helmet head. LOL!
Today I took a ride and doned my ACC Carbon Fiber and it was love all over again. I love this helmet but would not give my life for it so I'm wondering what most are doing with regards to the recall.
I sent mine back to them two weeks ago and asked to have it relined...they did it for nothing...great folks....I've had it since around 04 and I dont need the refund money...I like this helmet alot.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
GhostRider58
Tourer

I'm keeping mine!!

Quick Reply: Who's keepin' their recalled helmet?