Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I ruin my ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy - I pm'd you...

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCUSTOMBUD
Don't be admonished by statements like " Don't Touch It " You are doing the right thing even if it just makes you more knowledgeable when you take your Bike in.
And if dude cracks his case with a breaker bar (without heat mind you) your advice was worth what?
Especially since Dalton has already spoken...

#1, it's probably the wrong cam choice for the job.
#2, it' probably his tune.

But lets keep egging him on. Maybe he gets the plug loose (Use Heat Easy4me) and finds out it is sumping. Next step? Oh, take the bike back to the builder...
Or maybe, just maybe, he breaks something and he's screwed.

Humm... I think I'd just take it back to the builder and not touch a thing. Just me.

lp

Last edited by lp; 05-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy4me, the title of your post is "Did I ruin my ride?"

If you crack the case around the plug you can't presently remove, you certainly will....

Take it back to the shop. Investigating 'work' done by others will make it easier for them to stand back and say "you messed with it after we had it right..."

Don't go there, not worth it.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lp

Humm... I think I'd just take it back to the builder and not touch a thing. Just me.

lp
lp, You are right on the money.

East4me,
If you paid to have the work done, don't go second guessing the work until they have had a chance to look at it.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
02flh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. chinese tune up, waylean. sorry just trying to say waylean. plugs look ok like white,no black? no tan? No retimming module? 88ci with stock heads? I am thinking it is all in the carb as long as the push rods are in the right hole and the cams are timmed right. but I could be wrong, I have been before I think. Don over and out.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S&S 510s are higher RPM cams. Not the best choice for a bagger. They are great for a lighter bike. They won't make a lot of power below 2500 RPMs. If your bike was sumping you would notice a lot of heat coming off your motor. And like what was already stated the sumping would only be noticed at higher RPMs. Another thing you would notice with sumping is your oil level on your dip stick would be fluctuating. IMHO you should have gone with a different cam or learn to ride at a higher RPM. They are not bad cams just not designed for a heavy bike.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
easy4me
Cruiser

Update on my ride. I checked for sumping and it is not sumping. I put a 198 main jet in and kept the stock 45 pilot in due to not being able to get to the harley shop because of flooding and road closings. I have the mixture screw out 2 1/2 turns. The bike runs great except for low speed no load (20-30 MPH) situations and then the surging starts. I plan on putting a 46 pilot in when I can get to the H-D shop and hope this will cure the surging.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
RK Ivan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S&S 510's

I put the S&S 510g's in last summer, best thing I have done so far. It has lots of mid range and top end. I have 2002 RK w/TC 88, K&N Stage 1, with Monster Ovals now, rest is stock.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by easy4me
Update on my ride. I checked for sumping and it is not sumping. I put a 198 main jet in and kept the stock 45 pilot in due to not being able to get to the harley shop because of flooding and road closings. I have the mixture screw out 2 1/2 turns. The bike runs great except for low speed no load (20-30 MPH) situations and then the surging starts. I plan on putting a 46 pilot in when I can get to the H-D shop and hope this will cure the surging.
Harley doesn't stock the 46 slow jet. You will have to order it from an after market vendor.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
easy4me
Cruiser

Mine does stock them, I checked and they have 4 on hand.

Quick Reply: Did I ruin my ride?