Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I ruin my ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 PM
easy4me
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an independent shop do the work as I don't have all the equipment required. I usually do my own work, but nothing this involved. They test rode it before I picked it up and thought it was a strong running bike. Oh well, I will start tuning on it next week and hopefully get this thing moving like it should. Thanks for all the info.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:23 PM
easy4me
Cruiser

Jim, what is it actually doing when you say sumping? They did put a baisley spring in the oil pump and I show lots of oil pressure.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:49 PM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

When your engine is sumping, the oil collects in the bottom of the engine instead of circulating like it should. I think you can drain one of the back plugs underneath behind your regular oil drain plug, if it is sumping, there will be way more oil than should be. [ your regular drain plug will drain almost all your oil, unless your engine is sumping ] if it is sumping, you will get way more than you should out of the other drain, back towards the back of engine. When your engine is sumping, the usual symptom is exactly what you said [ it's like I'm dragging an anchor ] Have the guy that did your engine work, check it, it would be his mistake.. Come on DAWG chime in, I may be totally wrong, but I don't think so. Jim.

Last edited by RKCUSTOMBUD; 05-01-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM
easy4me
Cruiser

If it is sumping, is there any other indication such as smoking or leaking?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

No, it won't smoke or leak oil, the main symtom is what you already described, I'm not a motorcycle mechanic, so I can't help you more, but I would get hold of your mechanic and explain your problem to him. good luck. Jim.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
easy4me
Cruiser

Ok, I will take the plug out to see how much oil I have in the bottom of the case. Just to make sure, which plug do I need to remove? There is a pipe plug in the bottom of engine case (not in the pan), is this the right one?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:59 PM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

Two choices, I think I would drain my regular oil, you know how much is supposed to be there, if it is a half a quart or more low then that oil is probably in the bottom of your engine. That would be the easiest to check. I wish someone else with experience would chime in. Check that first, if it drains the amount you put in, I'm wrong, let's see. Jim.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:11 PM
easy4me
Cruiser

I think I will hold off until tomorrow and see if anyone else chimes in on this. I did check the oil level and it's where I had it before taking it into the shop, but I don't know if they added oil or not after all their work. I would call them, but they are closed until Tuesday.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Don't touch it. Have the builder check the bike out to see if it is "sumping".

lp

Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

You paid for a job well done !!!

Quick Reply: Did I ruin my ride?