Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running the LCD oil stick/guage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running the LCD oil stick/guage?

Was thinking about picking up one of those digital LCD oil dipsticks ...you know, the one that shows you the oil level and temperature. Does anyone have any experince with those things? Are they accurate for temp and oil level? Do they last? Are they worth the $140?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put one on my 2007 Ultra. It must have been on the dealer's shelf a while. The battery only lasted about a year. Dealer won't want to talk to you when it quits working. But thats okay, just open the top and replace the little disc battery inside.

Arvid

Old 05-01-2010, 01:23 AM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and it went bad. Would rather have a mechanical temp gauge.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 AM
coliseum
Tourer

I just got one a couple of weeks back... I wish I hadn't! Now I have the urge to check the temp the whole time! .. temp reached 135C yesterday while stuck in traffic! got me really worried! but it was pretty hot outside around 34c...

Old 05-01-2010, 05:11 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of folks on here have had problems with these units (search and you will find many threads) but I have had mine for over two years now and not a single glitch, guess I got lucky. Have not checked it to see how accurate it is but it seems pretty close and oil level is dead on so far.
Keep in mind it will not show proper level until the temp gets up around normal temps.
One thing I did before installing was to take it apart and turn it so that it was not upside down when screwed down, in other words if on bike and checking it it upside down and off bike to right side it is correct for viewing (instructions shown how to do this). Maybe doing that had something to do with it working OK as it was a little loose out of the box.
So far it has not missed a beat and I hope it stays that way.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:27 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There was one on my RKC when I got it. I've been riding the bike for about 4 months since I repaired it. So far, the dipstick has been working fine. It's not practical to activate/read it while riding, but you can check it at a stoplight easy enough. It's kinda cool. Donno if I'd'a bought one on my own (CAS*), but I like having it on the bike.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

That is the most frequently complained about accessory available. Even my parts guy said to save my money. They're cool for people who hardly ride their bikes. If you ride much the heat and vibration will surely destroy it.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Thanks for the feedback Dudes. I think I'll spend the cash on something else, like the FLHX shift linkage I've been eyeballing!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine broke, save your money.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Put a mechanical temp gauge in.

Quick Reply: Anyone running the LCD oil stick/guage?