Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Faring for Roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010 | 08:55 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sporty06
I live in the Dallas area and have asked to see the HC lowers in person. I have asked several times to meet where ever he wanted to meet so that I could see the size and quality. He has been reluctant to meet with me until today.

Today he sent me an email that stated that he did not have time to show the lowers in person. I can order them and if I don't like them he will give me my money back. That is a good attitude. However, if I don't like them then I have wasted time. How much I don't know yet as I am waiting on a reply about how long it will take to get them.

I have looked at a lot of photos and in some they look great. In other photos they seem almost too big for the bike. I guess it depends on the angle the photo was taken. Because of this, I wanted to see a set to see if they were bigger than the HD lowers or they just looked bigger in a photo. Seeing the real thing up close is always better than a photo.

I just never expected a business man to be too busy to show their product. Seems to me that this would take less time than ordering, shipping and taking a return back. But that's just me I guess.

I first talked to him last year between Nov and Dec, I think. Then again in February this year and it was not until yesterday that he stated that he would not show them in person. I wish that he had been upfront last fall rather stringing me along with excuses until now. I could have already had the HOGG CHOPPS or the HD lowers for several months if he had just said I won't show them; order some and if you don't like them I will return your money.

Anyway, I am waiting on his email reply to find out how long it will take and where I can pick them up. I don't see any sense in paying shipping since I live less than an hour from the address listed on his website.

sporty06
I think he did the original design on the HoggChops 3 or 4 years ago. It is my belief that he has somebody in BFE extrude the lowers in ABS plastic and ship them to him. Then he hires a local painter in either Arlington or Ft. Worth, Tx to paint them for him as he sells them. Several times he has said on his web site that he had no product to sell until a few weeks pass. Other times he says he has lost his painter and is trying to find someone new. I think he works out of his house in Arlington. I got a set from him a year ago. I have been pleased with his product although it did take about 4 hours of my time to clean the overspray off the flat black inside of the Chopps. He said it was because his painter charges him extra to mask off the backside, so he does not normally do that. A nice guy though when you talk to him. Operating a small business can be a bitch.

Old 05-03-2010 | 09:59 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
I think he did the original design on the HoggChops 3 or 4 years ago. It is my belief that he has somebody in BFE extrude the lowers in ABS plastic and ship them to him. Then he hires a local painter in either Arlington or Ft. Worth, Tx to paint them for him as he sells them. Several times he has said on his web site that he had no product to sell until a few weeks pass. Other times he says he has lost his painter and is trying to find someone new. I think he works out of his house in Arlington. I got a set from him a year ago. I have been pleased with his product although it did take about 4 hours of my time to clean the overspray off the flat black inside of the Chopps. He said it was because his painter charges him extra to mask off the backside, so he does not normally do that. A nice guy though when you talk to him. Operating a small business can be a bitch.
Andy is basically a one man show..Also an internet operator, no store front, no brick and morter..I would be the same way. I have bought 2 sets of these and been more than pleased not only with the product but also with his attention to customer service and response time. Recently me and my scoot took a minor spill, damaging one of the lowers. Andy was kind enough to have painted and sell me one lower...Try that from HD, who only sells them in pairs...I have never wasted any time with him and to tell the truth, his painted parts arrive much quicker than HDs ever do...

Old 05-04-2010 | 09:03 AM
sporty06
|
Road Captain

According to his website the HOGG CHOPPS are manufactured in the U.S.

Old 05-04-2010 | 02:57 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Phurion
Never really cared for the design/style/aesthetics of the HC version.
I don't like the way the HC stick out at the top and come so far in at the bottom.

I even modified the Pockets to take the Electra Glide Locking doors.
It gives me a larger opening to the pocket.

The Harley Factory Lowers look so much better.
I just added the Vents.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 05-04-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2010 | 03:28 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow
they will fit a 2010 RG with no problems...
I own a 2010 RG, and no...take-off lowers from an '04 UC won't fit. The plastic sleeve on the rear cap of the glove box section of the lower, the part that sort of vertically wraps around the engine guard was shortened considerably on the new version of the lowers. There were some other design changes to.

I also had lowers on my 2007 SG, and the new version of the glove box rear/top cap looks different enough that you can see it clearly. The lowers I had on that bike most definitely would not fit on the 2010 RG due to the fairing bracket that's mounted on the engine guard.

I compared pre 2010 lowers with 2010 models side-by-side at the dealership, and I can tell you the pre '10 version won't fit without modification.

Last edited by Phurion; 05-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2010 | 03:45 PM
IslandGlide
Cruiser

A buddy of mine was able to mount "ultra" lowers on his 06 RoadGlide. He bought the fairing brackets from a 2010 Roadie and switched with the stock brackets on his-mounted fine without any other mods

Old 05-04-2010 | 03:53 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior

Guys, go to the dealership and compare them side-by-side. Once you do that and see how the top cap was changed to shorten the plastic "sleeve" to accommodate the RG fairing bracket, you'll get it.

Seriously, don't take my word for it. Though I've owned both style and have done the side-by-side, you should do it for your own peace of mind.

/shrug

Old 05-04-2010 | 04:58 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Yea the top bracket painted cap for 2010 is about 1" toward frame & '07 is about 3". I bet the caps interchange though or you would have to shorten the '07. Not makin' a sales pitch. Mine sold.