Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....

Now that its nice out I ride my bike everywhere while scanning for idiots. Yesterday I found a few as I rode it to a local store where they have the pedestrian right area of way in front. You know the area where it's striped off with yellow paint and signs asking drivers to stop or yield for pedestrians. As I start to enter the lane on foot I see a white cavalier approaching and I stop.

As I try to make eye contact to see if the driver sees me I notice the young female driver is driving too fast and in the middle of the road with her head leaning about 45 degrees to her left pinching a phone between her cheek and shoulder. But the best part is that I thought she was driving with both hands at twelve o'clock but instead she is holding a second phone in both hands over the steering wheel and not looking any further than that phone while going about 25 miles an hour past the front of this busy store blowing through stop signs. I yell but she doesn't look up from her precious phone and goes to the end of the driveway turning off onto a road. God help us!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 AM
sooie
Tourer

support your new and coming cell phone laws

Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Big Gee
Advanced

Here in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving, unless you have a hands free setup. Doesnt seem to stop it happening though!!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sooie
support your new and coming cell phone laws
And hope that they are enforced!!!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Terly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Gee
Here in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving, unless you have a hands free setup. Doesnt seem to stop it happening though!!
Same here in California

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

How many people have to be killed before the danger is realized... This Happens far to often..

Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've kicked door panels as cars whizzed by me while I was in the pedestrian crossing. Most stop to see if they hit someone. Some actually get out and ask me why I did that and are greeted with a scathing response. Others stay in the car and just slowly drive away after they realize what happened.

I really wish they'd enact national laws prohibiting cell phone use while driving, AND enforce them.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

There is gonna have to be some cell phone users "hung out to dry", so to speak, before the situation gets any better. I just rode from centeral Texas to eastern North Carolina and back, 2900 miles in all. I couldn't even begin to count the dumb *** "drivers" that I saw yacking on their cell phones as they ATTEMPTED to "DRIVE". It is far worse than the drunk drivers ever were, simply because of the large number of them.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM
gobucks
Advanced

Cell phones is now the least of our problems>> The damn texting is far worse. When you see a car swerving in the lane, you can bet they are texting. Damn its getting dangerous out there!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,648 Likes on 688 Posts

If I posted about every idiot I encountered every day while riding, I'd crash this server

I can't stand the cell phone drivers, but I have had people deliberately try to kill me. I had one guy in a suburban get pissed off and start road raging me for doing the speed limit.

And yesterday, I had a guy with a full size ram and big trailer force me out of my lane because the road was forking, and he was not in the lane he wanted to be. I was in the middle lane, and had my choice to go right or left. He was in the right lane, but wanted to go left, and shot across the lane. I had nowhere to go because of traffic, and luckily he ended up on the shoulder. See this illustration for a better explanation:

He is the red box, I am the black box (on my bike). The green line is my intended path, the blue line is my actual path, and the red line is his actual path. The yellow lines indicate that lane was full so I couldn't get over:

He had actually tried to get in my lane moments before the intersection, with no turn signal, and only saw me at the last minute. What really pisses me off is he had lots of time to get in the correct lane, and secondly, he could have kept going, made a detour, and only lost a few minutes.

Attached Thumbnails You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....-forkinroad.jpg  

Quick Reply: You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....