Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Gee
Here in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving, unless you have a hands free setup. Doesnt seem to stop it happening though!!
That what's going to have to happen here but lots more people are going to have to die or get severely injured. When it happens to me, I follow them and give them a bit of polite attitude. I have been known to put notes on their windshields if I know who they are.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am convinced that a distracted driver will be the means to my end. I am not one for nanny state type laws, but this has to be addressed with serious penalties and enforcement.

Also, just so you know, the professor at the University of Utah who did the definitive study on cell phones and impaired driving found that there is virtually no difference whatsoever between hand held and hands-free when measuring the level of impairment.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what...

"It would be easier to build an in-vehicle signal jammer than an in-vehicle breathalyzer/ ignition switch."

This is what I think should be done in ALL cars! We did not need them before they were invented. We don't NEED them now.

Last edited by gacoptrainer; 04-30-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

GAZippoman---I visit my sister in Atlanta once a year. I lived in the Chicago area until I retired and moved away to a small town to get away from traffic.

The Atlanta area drivers make Chicago drivers look like old foggy drivers. It has been brutal driving through Atlanta then up and out to the N.E. burbs. I have never been through there without seeing several accidents.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of things that distract drivers beyond cell phones. I wish they would start enforcing the laws dealing with inattentive driving. Adding cell phone specific laws is just BS as far as I am concerned. Actually, I would like to see them enforce stopping for red lights first. I can usually pick out the idiot that can't be attenetive when they are driving.

I saw my first bike vs vehicle accident due to inattentive driving using a cell phone in 1989. Its only going to get worse.

Oh, yea, cops surfing the web on the MDTs are a another pet peave, but they could never be wrong.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gacoptrainer
It would be easier to build an in-vehicle signal jammer than an in-vehicle breathalyzer/ ignition switch.

This is what I think should be done in ALL cars! We did not need them before they were invesnted. We don't NEED them now.
Saw a story a while back that was showing how a company has come out with an app that parents can place on their teen's cell phones that uses the GPS to disable the phone when driving unless it's the parents phone or 911 in case of an emergency.

In my opinion this should be standard on all new cell phones.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Default Just...

Originally Posted by KingCripps
There are a lot of things that distract drivers beyond cell phones. I wish they would start enforcing the laws dealing with inattentive driving. Adding cell phone specific laws is just BS as far as I am concerned. Actually, I would like to see them enforce stopping for red lights first. I can usually pick out the idiot that can't be attenetive when they are driving.

I saw my first bike vs vehicle accident due to inattentive driving using a cell phone in 1989. Its only going to get worse.

Oh, yea, cops surfing the web on the MDTs are a another pet peave, but they could never be wrong.
Just thinking about the MDT thing yesterday. Glad they did not have those when I was in a cruiser back in the dark ages. I agree though. There is more CRAP in police cars to make cops wreck than you can shake a fist at, but I do believe we / they can be wrong. I was wrong once before, I think.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM
troy.j
Road Captain

How about a moped doing 55 and texting... all I could say is what the "F". Seen that twice here in Key West and the number of "on the phone" riders is amazing. No helmet law (I like that, Riders choice) so none are wearing them.... makes me wonder if they have any thought of mortality.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:38 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It is getting worse. I stopped a lady the other night that had a small computer in her lap. She didnt think it was a problem since she wasnt connected to the internet yet. I should have just wrote her a ticket.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyboyddk
Texting or using phone while driving is unnecesary and endangers everyone. Cannot understand why it is allowed.
It is allowed because the cell phone industry lobbyists pay off the sleazy politicians.
Tom

Quick Reply: You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....