Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Texting or using phone while driving is unnecesary and endangers everyone. Cannot understand why it is allowed.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There needs to be as much shame and penalty as if a person was drunk driving.

It would be easier to build an in-vehicle signal jammer than an in-vehicle breathalyzer/ ignition switch.

This is a growing problem... Not sure how people think they can do both safely at the same time.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
threeten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to rant a bit as well...

I was approaching an intersection and I had a red light. Drivers turning left had a green arrow, and as the arrow turned yellow, I could see a car from far away speeding up. I was on my bike and I stayed put because I saw what was going to happen.

The arrow turned red and sure enough the car blew the red arrow and turned into the intersection. The car to my right did not see her coming and started to proceed, brakes squealed and both cars stopped, luckily there was no collision.

But what really made me mad is, I can see that this dumbazz that blew the red arrow is on her cell phone. Do you think she drops the phone or shows any concern for what she just did? Of course not, she keeps talking the whole time and finally clears the intersection. I was yelling "Get off the phone"! I don't know why, because it was obviously a waste of breath.

*whew* Well, I feel a little better now.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it's at least a 60 mile each way commute for me, AND I have to deal with Atlanta traffic, I conservatively estimate that I see 40 idiot cagers a day.

I have a new favorite from this morning. I'm second in line at a red light to make a right hand turn. Mini van in front of me has their right turn signal on. As I'm sitting there waiting for them to turn, I see their bumper sticker. "You Can't Fix Stupid."

I had plenty of time to read it, as they were yakking on the phone, and not only didn't turn right on red, they sat there on the green until they finally heard my horn and noticed me flashing my hi beams.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZippoman
Since it's at least a 60 mile each way commute for me, AND I have to deal with Atlanta traffic, I conservatively estimate that I see 40 idiot cagers a day.

I have a new favorite from this morning. I'm second in line at a red light to make a right hand turn. Mini van in front of me has their right turn signal on. As I'm sitting there waiting for them to turn, I see their bumper sticker. "You Can't Fix Stupid."

I had plenty of time to read it, as they were yakking on the phone, and not only didn't turn right on red, they sat there on the green until they finally heard my horn and noticed me flashing my hi beams.
Yep....exactly. I have gotten to the point of any time I ride it isn't a mindset of "If it happens", its more "Where will it happen today". It is a rare day where I don't have someone driving HUA (Head Up A$$) because they are talking on their damn phone, texting, or putting eye makeup on in the rearview mirror or Lord only knows what else.

Around Atlanta Hwy 400 is bad, but 285 ought to be re-named the "ring-of-death".

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
brofstie
Intermediate

I have mixed emotions on the pedestrian crossing thing. It reads that you have to yield or stop for pedestrians in a cross walk but what a lot of pedestrians chose to ignore is that the other half of that law (at least here in Minnesota) still states that the pedestrian is not supposed to step into the cross walk if cars are approaching. I think the law did a lot of damage because it makes most pedestrians feel that they can just walk out into traffic without looking or yielding because the car has to stop for them and that, to me, is a recipe for disaster. I think it is a bad idea to plant in the minds of children that they don’t need to look both ways and they can just dart across just because there is a law that says the cars have to stop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally ‘Minnesota Nice’ and will stop and wave anyone waiting across anyway, I'm just not to keen on someone darting out in front of me, expecting me to stop, without even bothering to look and see that I'm already too close to the crosswalk to be able to stop in time.

That said, if you ever see me not paying close attention to what is going on around me because I’m on a cell phone, please pull me over and beat my a$$!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
audettd
Tourer

Last year I had a motorcylist almost hit me at an intersection because he was blowing a stop sign....can you freakin believe that...one of our own blowing a stop sign and we both had to stop to avoid an accident. ....we both were riding 2 up....its almost laughable

Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
RKRick1
Intermediate

I'm in agreement that something must be done to get a handle on cell phone use (texting and talking), but that in and of itself will not stop the idiots. They'll just move on to the next thing, such as doing make-up while driving, or using the electric razor while going down the expressway. There's all kinds of distractions out there and the lawmakers could not legislate enough to stop it all. Now, if we were able to detect and take the licenses away from the idiots, that would definitely help. The roads would be much, much less crowded as well!

Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

God help us is right......Seems like no one else will....Oh but then again there is Oprah...She will save us.....But thats another story!!!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowRain
Yep....exactly. I have gotten to the point of any time I ride it isn't a mindset of "If it happens", its more "Where will it happen today". It is a rare day where I don't have someone driving HUA (Head Up A$$) because they are talking on their damn phone, texting, or putting eye makeup on in the rearview mirror or Lord only knows what else.

Around Atlanta Hwy 400 is bad, but 285 ought to be re-named the "ring-of-death".
I take 285 from Peachtree Ind Blvd to I75 and then back everyday. I have to decide whether to stay in the far left lane to protect myself from morons as much as possible (which means I'm doin 80-85 in a 55) or get over and risk idiots on all sides. Of course, most days it means riding 5-10 mph in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quick Reply: You Know it's getting Worse Out there When....