Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Installing Wild One 577's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 AM
WIKD1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Installing Wild One 577's

I tried searching but keep getting a IB page not available so heres my question.
I want to install a set of Wild One 577 on my 2009 Streetglide without ABS. I looked around and there are kits to get the brake lines, wire extensions and TBW extensions but they are in excess of $400. I am trying to price out what I need seperately and come out a lot cheaper so I think I may be missing something.
I think I need:
TBW extension 8"
Clutch Cable +6"
Upper brake line +6"
Switch extensions +8"

Am I missing something? Do I need a mid brake line assembly?
priced seperately using Barnett, magnum shielding and NAMZ I only come out to $180.00. Where is the $400 of the kits?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 AM
mja52403
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the $400 include the bars themselves? If so, that price is probably a good deal.

When I swapped out my stock bars for my 14" Cyclesmiths, I ended up replacing the upper and lower brake line because I had read somewhere that the connections on the stock line are a one time thing and that you can't just disconnect the old and connect the new. I think the tech at JP told me that, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 479 Likes on 125 Posts

on your switch you will need radio ext also, it is not part of the switch ext kit, also gasket for clutch cover and transmission oil, brake fluid

Last edited by tj316; 04-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

yep...the mid brake assembly can not be added to (good advice from post above). You will need to add that and 2 lower brake lines. TJ had a good idea about the radio extension also. The gasket he mentioned as well. I didn't change the fluid....I used the "put it on a 2x6 and lean it over method". You only lose 3 tblespoons of fluid but it might be a good idea to chage the fluid if your near the maitenance schedule. Yes, $400 is too much but it is handy for the non-mechanical type unlike yourself. Good luck...this was a very fun project for me and well worth it.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 AM
WIKD1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. No the $400 did not include the bars but now that I know I need all the brake lines I'm sure that will up the price from the $180. probably not $400 though. :-)

On the radio extension, is it just lengthening the wires like the switches? If you get a kit from NAMZ it doesn't come with that?
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need upper and lower brake lines. Clutch and upper cables +6" . As well as the Namz 26 wire extension kit. I also got the barnett TBW/FBW harnes for 35 bucks. Alot easier than cutting and soldering.

I went with magnum shielding and the Sterling Chromite II cables. Price with all of the above w/o bars came to around 280. Hopefully I like the cables and don't wish I stayed with black.. I get hung up on the little things I swear.

I MAY be able to get by without extensions by re-routing the wiring connectors under the radio.. Guess I'll know for sure in a couple weeks.

I went with the 12" monkey bars.

FYI, All of my parts were ordered through phatperformanceparts.com. The clutch cable is on back order with magnum. Hopefully it's here in time.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

The best that I've found was to call Johnny Vaughn himself. Tell him your bars/abs or no abs and he will tell you exactly what you need.

www.johnnyvaughn.com/

Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
mja52403
Cruiser

I tackled this project last winter and having no experience with anything like this made it a challenge for sure, but I took my time, and I still remember the day I fired it up and all the lights, controls, etc. worked perfectly. Had they not, I would have probably had to start over.

One thing that was the most frustrating for me was with the wire extention kit, which I believe was from Novello. It all went together great, but when it came time to get them through the bars, there was no way. Because the extension kit involves new wire splices and heat shrink, each wire got that much thicker and since they were all the same length meant that I had a huge cluster of wire connections all in one place....and had to try and fish them through the hole at the top and bottom...no way! I ended up cutting each one a slightly different length and splicing them myself. Once I did that, wrapped them all in heat shrink, lubed them up, and they went through like butter.

Brake line was very easy and the clutch cable was a little tricky because of my dual head pipes. I had to remove the right side exhaust in order to get the tranny cover off. Oh yea, then I ended up stripping out the new clutch cable when I hooked it back up...still not sure how I managed to do that one....

I also used Magnum Chromite II stainless brake and clutch cables...great products in my opinion.