Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Alarm Range?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mrthinkshesfunny
I'll tell you a funny story.I have an 09 EGS.I was on a ride and with my bike running at a stop sign, I swapped bikes with a friend of mine who has a real nice Fatboy.When I got home(both of us rode to my house) it occured to me that I had the fob in my pocket.We never rode right next to each other but were fairly close maybe 50 -75 feet of each other.I wondered why my bike didn't quit running when the fob got away from the bike a little ways.Then I figured it must be a safety feature that once running the fob doesn't affect the engine control module until the next start up.Any one have a idea on that one?
Once started the hands free FOB is out of the equation until you shut it off and try to start it again.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
surfcitybum
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 6-7 feet with new batteries on mine

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Your lights will flash even if you're stil sitting on the bike. Just give it a try.

The security system activates within seconds of shutting down the bike and no movement sensed. Only thing is the alarm won't sound if the fob is within range. Otherwise the little alarm key on the speedo will begin to flash whether you're close or not.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Once started the hands free FOB is out of the equation until you shut it off and try to start it again.

I found that out the hard way

I had just got my 07 EGC. Took it for a little ride and ended up about 30 miles from home at a friends house (to show him the new bike). We look it over hop on the bikes and "NOTHING" WTF thinking...........thinking..............OH YA, were is my key?

HOME IN MY GARAGE............DOE!!! Call the wife and wait for her to bring it up to me.

That happened ONCE It wont happen again..

Or at least it shouldn't .........lol

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts
Angry

I'll tell you a funny story.I have an 09 EGS.I was on a ride and with my bike running at a stop sign, I swapped bikes with a friend of mine who has a real nice Fatboy.When I got home(both of us rode to my house) it occured to me that I had the fob in my pocket.We never rode right next to each other but were fairly close maybe 50 -75 feet of each other.I wondered why my bike didn't quit running when the fob got away from the bike a little ways.Then I figured it must be a safety feature that once running the fob doesn't affect the engine control module until the next start up.Any one have a idea on that one?
The key fob is only needed to start the bike. It's not needed once the bike is running, however once the motor is turned off you'll need the fob to restart. My experience is that while the manual says 15' range for starting the bike, it's really more like 6 feet even with a new battery.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
About 15 feet is normal I think.
Same here.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you are correct. Once running, they will stay running whether the fob is near or not. It's the next time you try and start it without the fob that you'll discover that it won't start.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 10' here. After reading this thread, when out and tried it.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, that was weird...

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Your talking about a push button FOB not the hands free correct?

Normal should be about 6 feet, the antenna is under the seat on the left side frame crossmember, it attaches to the TSSM on the right side. There are tests to comfirm the antenna is good in the EDM.
Much thanks hog-doc.

Yeah, this is the push-button fob, not the magic *** sensor type. I went looking and found the TSSM, right where you said it would be.

Here's where it gets weird - There was an old 5/16 open end wrench jammed up against the TSSM and the fender. It must have been from the prior owner. I fished the old wrench out with a wire, and the fob works fine now. It's working from around 6-8' like it should.

Much thanks again!

JR

Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

while recently on a trip my hotel room was about twenty feet from my parking spot. i am glad the range was only ten feet.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Alarm Range?