Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your 6th gear light go out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeputyMike
...Does your 6th gear light ever fail to come on, or go off after running in 6th gear for a period of time??? Mine just started doing this this past weekend?? What the hell???
Not sure how many miles you have logged and I am not trying to freak you out but others have said if the clutch is not fully engaging it will not light. Maybe check you adjustment? But with a 2010 hit the dealer.

E-

Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyMike
PCV Mr. Wizard
On some tuners there is an adjustment to set the Primary Ratio. If the setting is off then 6th gear will either not work or be sporadic at best. Not sure if the PCV has this option or would interfere with the VSS.

The VSS could be failing. Test your cruise control to see if it works when your gear light goes out. That will help you to zero in on the issue.

Thanks for humoring me..

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2010 Ultra with PC-V, Jackpot Dyno Tuned Mufflers, and Stage 1 filter is doing the same thing. Works fine next time I start the bike but may go days before it does it again. Taking it to the dealer next week.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,770 Likes on 22,735 Posts

Mine still works in my 09, but as far as I'm concerned the moco should have put a gear indicator on for all gears,not just 6th. IMHO.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Sent question to Power Commander about this and they said their unit could not cause any of the Harley advisory lights to work or not. I told them I disagree because when I was doing the gear position calibration I could make the 6th gear light go out. Got a smart *** answer from the tech that I am dealing with his boss about now. Checked my diagnostic codes and only have the 3 for the O2 sensors being disconnected for the PC-V.
Called Harley and they said they were unaware of this even though I told them the service manger at Eastern Shore Harley told me he had one bike doing that too that Harley was investigating. My dealer's service manager said wait for the recall notice. WTF!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by borrec
Sent question to Power Commander about this and they said their unit could not cause any of the Harley advisory lights to work or not. I told them I disagree because when I was doing the gear position calibration I could make the 6th gear light go out. Got a smart *** answer from the tech that I am dealing with his boss about now. Checked my diagnostic codes and only have the 3 for the O2 sensors being disconnected for the PC-V.
Called Harley and they said they were unaware of this even though I told them the service manger at Eastern Shore Harley told me he had one bike doing that too that Harley was investigating. My dealer's service manager said wait for the recall notice. WTF!
the lesson we have learned over and over again...
do not trust the dealers knowledge on these things.

the lesson that is being drilled into my head now is...
do not trust the manufacturer's knowledge on their own items!!

i find that i get more information here on HDF than anywhere else!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
cupcars
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has done it 3 times. The first time was on my way home from the dealer right after the 1000mi service. The cruise control does not work on mine when the 6th gear light goes out. I pull over, kill the bike, restart, and it works again. I also had the dealer adjust the clutch internally during the 1000mi service because the bike didn't want to "down shift".

Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

My 6th gear light would go out intermittantly. If cruise was on, it kicked off also. Dealer replaced clutch perch and clutch switch which didn't help. Eventually they traced the problem to a bad connection at the HD running light module plug. They said they just cleaned plug and reassembled using dielectric grease, no problem since.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 PM
cpd2442
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 streetglide has done it too on several ocassions after the install of the pcv. All I have to do is either turn the bike off and right back on or come to a complete stop and have it in neutral.
I beleive it's the pcv that causes the problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM
nwbikerid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a light to tell you you're in 6th gear? Whoa!, lmao!

Quick Reply: Your 6th gear light go out?