Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107" build in the works...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

(can we get our fix of more pictures please!)

Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes please post the rest of the pics. Also a parts list, detailed instructions, tool list,,,, How about you just get everything and show up at my place and do the install? :-)

P.S. Serious about the pics and parts list. ;-)

Old 05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Phil . . . you got us all lathered up and now you won't rinse us off???? What's up with that????

Just kidding but I really would like to see the job completed pictures.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Bummer! LOL

Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work as usual Phil. I have started the teardown of my own and will be installing an HQ107ST also. (changed my mind from our earlier conversations...lol)

Originally Posted by hittman
Phil,
I built the same build you are working on here. I did not have my rocker boxes & covers clearanced for the new valve springs & cams. Should I have done this, I have not noticed any issues so far. I have around 2000 miles on the build.
I have done quite a few of the newer models and for some reason I am finding that clearancing is not necessary unless going beyond .600 lift. Still doesn't hurt to do it for insurance though. I still do it from habit.

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
You'll love the 107. Good solid build with plenty of bunch and can run all day without any finicky behavior. Last tune for me was 107 HP 116 ft/lb, but all I know is that I can never resist the urge to roll on the throttle, no matter what kind of ride I left the house for!
It is amazing, the repeatability of the HQ builds. I just did the HQ107ST build on mariner227s bike and it dyno'd at 107/115. And as Phil says, the rideability is the key, numbers are just numbers.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Final chapter.....

OK Guys… Sometimes, websurfing falls down a few rungs on my list of (fun) things to do. Here's a wrap up to the thread. Sorry for the delay!

Pretty HQ pistons (by CP) after a thorough cleaning ~ ready for install.

Always important to verify ring gap(s). These were all within spec, for their respective position.

Rear piston, on rod, clipped, & ready for the jug

Well…. now, it's ready for the jug!

Jugs & heads installed

This intake port looks a helluva lot better than the stock one did. Remember the shot of the stocker, with the powder coating flaking off?

Here's a look in the derby cover with the stock clutch setup.

Here's a new VPC-92T, ready for install….

…and here it is installed.

Almost done….

….and, DONE! That's a BAD look'n ****!

Now, it's a few days later, the bike is tuned and delivered.

As most of you know, I really don't give much of a **** about dyne sheets & "numbers", but this one pulled 109/114 on a new DJ250i with all the latest code ~ you know, the ones folks call "stingy". In my opinion, that's great. BUT…. what REALLY matters is rideability, and this baby HAS IT!!!

Ryan…. you out there? can ya tell a difference? Had a chance to ride with you buddy with the Squeal'nBeagle 110?

Oh…. did I mention…. That ***** is ONE LOUD MF'er!!!! That FatCat w/performance baffle is some kinda LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy, Dude!!!!!

Last edited by PhilM; 05-09-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job as usual Phil. Good numbers, and right in the ballpark for the HQ 107s. As you say, rideability is the desired result, numbers just verify that all is good.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey phil, did you put the vpc92 in with another spring or use the stock. Did you add it because yall expect some possible slippage?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VETERAN75
Hey phil, did you put the vpc92 in with another spring or use the stock. Did you add it because yall expect some possible slippage?
Stock spring... because I KNOW they slip without. I've build a bunch of these....

Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for the pics Phil, Red bike looks and I'm sure is running awesome congrats

Quick Reply: HQ 107" build in the works...