Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107" build in the works...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadharley2
Phil,
Can you give some details on exactly how much you take off on the spring clearance and rocker box tops? HQ 107ST gonna be here tomorrow and I was clueless on this step.
tks
Mike
TMan has it nicely documented here: http://tmanperformance.com/technical.htm

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

this thread gives me wood!

Phil, I wish I was there to learn a thing or two or three or million!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Cokie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I'm watching this one!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Day 2 ~ Not too much progress tonight, but some.

First, I ran the rocker boxes & covers of to JudCowleyCycles.com for appropriate clearancing.

First task was pulling the stock inner cam bearings

Both bearings out

Here's a look at the stockers vs. the Timkens. Notice how many more rollers are in the Timkens and there is no flimsy roller cage to break.

Stock cams vs. HQ-575's

Cams aligned in chain. My tired eyes need additional marking to see the alignment dots.

New cams in plate, lubed & ready to go back in

Pump cleaned up, re-lubed, & installed with new orings.

Plate with cams, installed and torqued (EXCEPT the oil pump bolts ~ those come later), and gears installed w/o chain to check gear alignment. In most cases, a different shim is required ~ not this time.

New HQ "Black-Ops" lifters. These are some of the best currently available.

Priming the lifters. This is something I just tried a couple weeks ago and it worked GREAT! This is the 3rd time I've done this & will continue. The tip of my oil can fits perfectly into the lifters oil feed hole. About three pumps, & oil starts coming out the top!

The last thing for today was installing the lifters & lifter blocks. I like to use the alignment pins on these too. May or not make much difference, but I know they are "square" this way.

You may be wondering about the oil pump alignment. I can not do that until I get some jugs & pistons back on, so for now, it's not aligned or tightened.

One other tidbit… This motor is pretty fresh (6k'ish miles) & crank runout is good, at: .0035 ~ 3.5 thou…. At least for now.

Over & out!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Hi Phil,

what do you charge for all this? Parts and labour? Curious as I need to start saving pennies! What type of numbrs does this build get? Numbers don't mean too much but bragging rights, moreso the arm ripping power... (butt-dyno)

I'm still 96 with Andrews 26H, TTS, SE Heavy Breather, stock heads and SE Street Performance mufflers. (Black with the addt'l black covers for the head pipes)

my numbers were 100 ft-lb, and 89 HP.

I'm sick so I want to do heads and 107. I was planning Axtell.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM
reds_racing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhhhhhh, Its great to be overseas and still see the progress on my bike!!!!! You da man Phil, Thanks for progress pics.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Hi Phil,

what do you charge for all this? Parts and labour? Curious as I need to start saving pennies! What type of numbrs does this build get? Numbers don't mean too much but bragging rights, moreso the arm ripping power... (butt-dyno)

I'm still 96 with Andrews 26H, TTS, SE Heavy Breather, stock heads and SE Street Performance mufflers. (Black with the addt'l black covers for the head pipes)

my numbers were 100 ft-lb, and 89 HP.

I'm sick so I want to do heads and 107. I was planning Axtell.

Cost really depends on what all is done and how much extra "stuff" is on a bike that has b be removed & reinstalled. "typically", labor is in the $500 range for top end & cams.

The price ofthe hardware is defined by the vendor - HQ, TMan, etc.

"Numbers" are what they are, vary from one dyno to the next, & really don't mean dick. Tuned, is tuned and "Rideability" is what matters.

Last edited by PhilM; 04-29-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Phil, I'm putting together the parts for my own big bore kit. I bought used cylinders and heads and will take them to a local shop for bore and porting. I'm going 103 with KB 10:1 pistons and S&S 570 Easy Start cams. I ride 2 up touring most of the time. In other words loaded down!!!!

The machinist suggested that I use stock pushrods since there will be very little deck height change in the heads. I like that idea since it is simple and requires no adjustment. However, I would have to cut them out later if I ever do a cam simple cam change.

I see in this thread that you are changing the lifters. I'm assuming that you're doing this due to the high lift cams. Now for my questions.

1. Based on my build, do you think I should change lifters and install adjustable pushrods? If so, why? Where do you buy your Headquarters lifters?

2. Do you think I'm on the right track for my riding style? I still haven't purchased the cams but I have purchased the pistons.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I know you're a busy man in the middle of a project. I also know you are one of the "motor Gurus" here on this awesome forum. I'll take anything you state to heart.

PS - I also purchased all the tools from George's garage.

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 04-29-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
Phil, I'm putting together the parts for my own big bore kit. I bought used cylinders and heads and will take them to a local shop for bore and porting. I'm going 103 with KB 10:1 pistons and S&S 570 cams. I ride 2 up touring most of the time. In other words loaded down!!!!

The machinist suggested that I use stock pushrods since there will be very little deck height change in the heads. I like that idea since it is simple and requires no adjustment. However, I would have to cut them out later if I ever do a cam simple cam change.

I see in this thread that you are changing the lifters. I'm assuming that you're doing this due to the high lift cams. Now for my questions.

1. Based on my build, do you think I should change lifters and install adjustable pushrods? If so, why?

2. Do you think I'm on the right track for my riding style? I still haven't purchased the cams but I have purchased the pistons.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I know you're a busy man in the middle of a project. I also know you are one of the "motor Gurus" here on this awesome forum. I'll take anything you state to heart.

PS - I also purchased all the tools from George's garage.

Steve
Hey Steve....

1) over time, lifters develop wear patterns associated with the cam lobe(s) it/they has been "running on". Personally, I always recommend changing lifters with a cam swap. Some don't and are fine. Some don't & wish they did. As far as pushrods go, it's a coin toss. I've used stocker on smaller cams (TW26, HQ-0034, etc.) but never on a 570. It may be fine, but I am not personally familiar enough with the cam & what headwork is being do to make an education recommendation other than "adjustables" would work perfectly.
2) I do know that the 570 cam, at 10:1, works great with the old style S/E "Performance Heads". I have absolutely no idea what your Indy will or will not do to the heads. Is he known for doing headwork? If so, great. If not..... I'd either leave the heads alone or enage someone that does it for a living. Once cut.... they are what they are. None of the Pro's will touch them.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilM
Hey Steve....

1) over time, lifters develop wear patterns associated with the cam lobe(s) it/they has been "running on". Personally, I always recommend changing lifters with a cam swap. Some don't and are fine. Some don't & wish they did. As far as pushrods go, it's a coin toss. I've used stocker on smaller cams (TW26, HQ-0034, etc.) but never on a 570. It may be fine, but I am not personally familiar enough with the cam & what headwork is being do to make an education recommendation other than "adjustables" would work perfectly.
2) I do know that the 570 cam, at 10:1, works great with the old style S/E "Performance Heads". I have absolutely no idea what your Indy will or will not do to the heads. Is he known for doing headwork? If so, great. If not..... I'd either leave the heads alone or enage someone that does it for a living. Once cut.... they are what they are. None of the Pro's will touch them.
Thanks for the advice. My heads will be done by one of the best . . .

http://deweysheads.com/HDBD_home.html

I'm having trouble finding the HQ lifters online. Can you help with a link?

Which adjustable pushrods do you use?

I'm going to go ahead a do it. Might as well while I'm in there.

Thanks

Quick Reply: HQ 107" build in the works...