Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V the dyno and cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM
skull and bones
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander V the dyno and cams

I just purchased the Power Commander V with the Auto Tune. I am considering upgrading my cams in the near future and would like information on whether or not I need to dyno the bike after the cam install. Is the Auto Tune "smart enough," to calibrate on its own?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
HAG11Limited
Cruiser

I don't have any experience with the power commander V but from what I have read here on this site if you have a basic map for your set up the auto tune will fine tune it in for ya. Hope this is any help as I said I have no experience with the PCV and autotune.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno......but I will in a few weeks. I have the AT and map from moto waiting on me to install the cams I bought earlier. All waiting on me to find the time.

Talked to Jamie and read a few threads which lead me to believe it will be a good set-up as-is.

Now I will get for thinking this will carry the day, but we shall see. If it doesn't.....well then I need to find a PC/tuner somewhere within 250 miles since there sure are not any in little ol' Kingman.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I talked with Kevin at Fuel Moto, and he told me the autotune would "eventually" tune the cams to the bike. I think the closer you get your base map to your configuration, the faster that process is.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

The PC-V/AT will have no problem building a map for your cam swap. The closer the base map the easier job the AT will have building trims, we have seen the AT build an extremely accurate map for a cam swap in less than 30 miles starting with a base map for stock cams. The more you ride, the more finely tuned your map will be. We do also have a very good selection of maps for different cams and models and will supply the closest map you need to minimize tuning. We have also amazed quite a few PC-V/AT users with the accuracy with our base maps where the AT made only minor changes to our maps.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I talked with Kevin at Fuel Moto, and he told me the autotune would "eventually" tune the cams to the bike. I think the closer you get your base map to your configuration, the faster that process is.
Rid'n over to Idaho in few weeks to meet up with Hogdoc to install my 255's, change fork oil, clutch spring, 10K service and some other stuff. Thought about doing it all myself but figured the opportunity to look listen and learn from a pro is priceless and much less chance of me fugg'n it up. Plus it's a great excuse for an adventure.

I'm think'n that for the about the same price as a Dyno run, the Autotune will be nice compliment to my PCV. Already had Fuel Moto send me a base map.

I know that Hogdoc prefers the SEST and if I was going to start over I would probably go with that reccomendation. But I'm old and my rid'n style is not dependant on the "perfectly perfect" tune, plus I hate the idea of having my bike on the dyno and basically flogged like a rented donkey.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 PM
ibjeepn
3rd Gear

Clint55

Who is "hogdoc"? I live in Boise, Idaho and looking for a good indy. Where is he located?
Thanks!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Rid'n over to Idaho in few weeks to meet up with Hogdoc to install my 255's, change fork oil, clutch spring, 10K service and some other stuff. Thought about doing it all myself but figured the opportunity to look listen and learn from a pro is priceless and much less chance of me fugg'n it up. Plus it's a great excuse for an adventure.

I'm think'n that for the about the same price as a Dyno run, the Autotune will be nice compliment to my PCV. Already had Fuel Moto send me a base map.

I know that Hogdoc prefers the SEST and if I was going to start over I would probably go with that reccomendation. But I'm old and my rid'n style is not dependant on the "perfectly perfect" tune, plus I hate the idea of having my bike on the dyno and basically flogged like a rented donkey.
Too funny. I'd be tempted to make the ride over with you, but I can't spare the time right now. I'm having a hard time just finding one whole day to do my cam install. I really don't want to do it over a couple of days, so I need a rainy Saturday to shut down my kid's baseball games.