Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
razoraggie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy stand?

Being a relatively new Harley owner (2,000+ miles since December), I've noticed that the side stand scares the crap out of me. I will get off the bike and stand there for like 5 minutes before leaving the Road King on the side stand. It seems like it always wants to move if there is but the slightest incline. It makes me always want to park with the nose uphill, but that can be bad, too, if the hill is too steep. Is there a better aftermarket side stand available out there? Am I the only one that is paranoid my Harley is going to roll over sometime?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
leonm47
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razoraggie
Being a relatively new Harley owner (2,000+ miles since December), I've noticed that the side stand scares the crap out of me. I will get off the bike and stand there for like 5 minutes before leaving the Road King on the side stand. It seems like it always wants to move if there is but the slightest incline. It makes me always want to park with the nose uphill, but that can be bad, too, if the hill is too steep. Is there a better aftermarket side stand available out there? Am I the only one that is paranoid my Harley is going to roll over sometime?
I was wondering the same thing too. Not that the side stand scares me I was looking for an eaiser way to check the rear tire pressure on my SG. Have any of you guys or gals (sorry ladies) tried the the Wheel Dock EZ ride stand that sells for $199 ? I'm seriously thinking about investing in one if I can get a favorable report from someone who has used one. Chime in and let us know.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kinda like putting a letter in the mailbox and then going back and opening up the door to make sure the letter really really dropped down into the mailbox... I still kick the jiffy stand forward to make sure it's engaged and double check it. I'm sure you're not the only one that makes sure like that.... I wouldn't say too many people stand there for 5 minutes but yah.. I double check mine when I park it.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 01-07-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Park in gear. It'll help to keep the bike from moving. Get down on and look at the construction of the stand, you'll see how it fits together so it can only go so far. It's the way it was designed. There's a tab that fits into a slot. The tolerances aren't too close to allow for it to fit together without being fussy. That's what's allowing for the movement.

Last edited by Mike; 04-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HD jiffy stand is fool proof. WHen the bike moves forward a little bit and your thinking to yourself "it's going to roll off the stand", it's actually now locked in securely.

You can test this yourself if you have a bike lift, by raising the bike and pulling up on the jiffy stand by hand into the locked position, and try moving the stand as if the bike was trying to roll off. (As in pulling the stand to the rear of the bike)

It's a bit un-nerving at first but you can learn to trust it.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jiffy stands are tough. I watched a salesman showing a guy the best way for his wife to mount the bike. The bike was on the jiffy stand and he had her climb on from the right side (she was not a small woman either) Then he had her husband get on from the left side and right to bike. I was thinking...poor Bike! They will take a load, but I always park mine in gear as well!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Yep, Just trust it like your tires laid over in a corner, its not going anywhere.

Used to fool me too, trust it, there a millions of them out there that all do the same thing, once they are fully forward and the weight of the bike is on it, it is locked.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
It's kinda like putting a letter in the mailbox and then going back and opening up the door to make sure the letter really really dropped down into the mailbox...
Christian
Now that made me LOL. Cause it is so true. I don't think there is anyone that doesn't do that.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Park it in gear. My habit is to shut it off in gear with the kill switch and then turn off the key switch. If you develop the habit, it's really the best way to go and it is quick. No searching for neutral at shut down.

When I take off, I turn on the key, find neutral, start it and hit the road.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got in a habit of looking down and making sure that little tab/lock is in the right place before I get off the bike. If the tab is in it's place it ain't going to fall over. After a few thousand times getting off your bike and it rolling forward you wont even think about it anymore.

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand?