Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas on the tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Avoid the temptation to wipe off the tank with a rag unless you're sure it's clean. I just rinse the gas off with water and give the bike a proper wash at home.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

..always stand directly over tank so ya can look directly down in it..always check 'clicker' upon removing nozzle from pump, before ya push the hi-test grade button..

Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
338LapuaMagnum
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyboyddk
I deliver gasoline to stations for a living and we have training before working on our own and have mandatory safety meetings to discuss safety issues. Never heard of gasoline igniting without a spark or flame. Heat alone won't do it. I will however bring up the issue next meeting and report any changes to this response. Be concerned about static electricity and cell phone usage. If you have gasoline on exterior of your bike, you don't want some asswipe jump starting their vehicle next to you. Push your bike outta there. Dumb things occur at fueling stations, watch out for yourself. Don't take it for granted the equipment is in proper operating condition. That gear is used constantly and will wear out. People will put the pump handle away with the handle locked back for kicks.

Not true. At the auto ignition temp, it can spontaneously combust.

ETA: That's about 540*F for gasoline at atmosphere.

Last edited by 338LapuaMagnum; 04-27-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best bet is to not do anything when you spill the gas, just let it evaporate. With modern paint and clear, nothing will be harmed. With the old laquer finishes, it is a different story.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I "dab" it lightly to get the puddle off but most evaporates quick. Clean it at home later and never had a problem. Would like to know if anyone has never split gas..........it's just going to happen and I will bet clean/wax brings it out no problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 338LapuaMagnum
Not true. At the auto ignition temp, it can spontaneously combust.

ETA: That's about 540*F for gasoline at atmosphere.
I was going to post a similar response. EVERY flammable liquid has a "flashpoint" temperature. If that weren't the case then the diesel engines would not run as they have no spark plugs.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 04-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 AM
WillyHD
Road Master

Replace the fuel cap, buy a large bottle of water, and soak down the tank. Dry it off if you want, but the wind from the ride will do the trick. Done it a few times. Don't worry so much.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
338LapuaMagnum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
I was going to post a similar response. EVERY flammable liquid has a "flashpoint" temperature. If that weren't the case then the diesel engines would not run as they have no spark plugs.
Flash point requires an ignition source. Auto ignition temperature auto ignites like the name suggests.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas on my tank never clouded the paint - any ways when i get gas on the tank I pull the micro fiber rag and can of pledge from from my saddle bag, spray the tank with some pledge and wipe it off. Never have had a problem with it.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
MINI SSS
Cruiser

My 2009 6gal tank is impossible to top off without spilling over, no matter how careful I am. I just soak the area with window washer fluid (water) from their pump side bucket. I then go to the mens room and get paper towels to wipe off the excess water. Of course I rewax when I get home.

Quick Reply: Gas on the tank!