Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas on the tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
The rag and gas station hand soap probably hurt it more than the gas did. I've probably spilled or splashed gas on my tanks a few times every year for the past 30 years. It never hurt the paint (or burst in to flames).
+1 these days paint is fuel proof happened so many times no problems with paint.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you spend 20K or 15K for a bike and gas takes the paint off!!!!!!!!!! Ya got phucked!! Holy christ! It's a motorcycle! Less ya got a custom paint job on it! Let it go! Ya buy it for riding or shining?? Do the Honda forums have this bullsheet?????!! Get a rag , wipe it off! Ride it!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
fpdsniper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of the cap with the spring loaded door that you don't have to remove. Anybody using one of these?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You're screwed, sell the bike......................chit happens get over it.
Basiclly if it happen again, gas will evaporate. Wait until you get home to clean and wax.
I screwed up a Vived Black paint job on a Fat Boy because I paniced over some spilt gas and a gas station rag.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 04-26-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did the first time I did that is I waited a couple months...then I did it again. You're going to do it again. Next time it happens worry more about how much $3/gal gas you put on the ground than what you did to your bike.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny threads on this forum.
Won't kill it. Do people on here panic this much when they get gas on their cars too? Just asking.

Btw, it fumes from gas that ignite, open flame, spark, something like that. Hells bells we used smoke sitting on our damn bombs, just to **** of the pilots.

Boom, boom, boom, out go the lights.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i've spilled gas before while fueling my streetglide. i hate that the fuel cap isn't where it should be, like on the dynas and roadkings. on the right side with a real cap rather than the hidden one with the dinky hole for fueling. just when i look at the pump so i can round off to the nearest dollar, douche, there it goes. i just make it a point to keep a rag nearby for when that happens and wipe off what splashes on the tank. sure it removes the wax, but i've got plenty of that at home. no big deal, although it is sorta frustrating to try to fill up when the cap isn't at the high side of the bike.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 09sungloflhx
our gas stations here have no clicker they are not allowed at any self serve gas station i guess its not such a bad thing either i always try to be careful but **** happens i guess

I don't guess it really matters, but where might "here" be??????????? (it's probably safe to at least say what state you are from.)

Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
Whenever I fill the bike, I take the cap off first (duh!), then use it as a cup and travel with the fuel nozzle to and from the pump. This will catch the drippings when your done pumping.

We all have our little habits to keep our beloved Hogs untarnished. This is a great forum!

Dex
That is a great idea!

I am not understanding how gas just sprays out of the nozzle by itself. I have been fueling for many moons and have never had any issues, nor heard of any- except for the occasional dumazz driving off with the nozzle in the tank. I also do not select the grade until after I have the nozzle in hand.

I also dont lock the trigger- hell it only takes less than a minute to fill my tank with the trigger only squeezed halfway- and now I can use my cap to catch those last few pesky drops

Old 04-27-2010, 05:46 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Devo6684
That is a great idea!

I am not understanding how gas just sprays out of the nozzle by itself. I have been fueling for many moons and have never had any issues, nor heard of any- except for the occasional dumazz driving off with the nozzle in the tank. I also do not select the grade until after I have the nozzle in hand.

I also dont lock the trigger- hell it only takes less than a minute to fill my tank with the trigger only squeezed halfway- and now I can use my cap to catch those last few pesky drops
Some idoit before you leaves the trigger locked!

Quick Reply: Gas on the tank!