Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas on the tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
.....this post should be mandatory reading to all those who were saying that they sit on their bikes while fueling in that other thread.....
No sheet! I would have got a face full if I was sitting on the bike.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NERVER WIPE!!!! Always DAB!!! Or gently blot the area with a paper towel and wash as soon as you can with mild soap and water. My $.02

Dex

Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
JWitz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash and wax...I have spilled gas on mine.....never hurt it...I wash it good and wax it good and it has been fine....

Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
Lucky a fire didn't start when the gas hit the hot engine. Paste wax should do the trick.
When I was a kid my Dad used to throw red-hot iron (heated with a torch) into a pail of gas to warm the gas up so as to be able to wash parts in it during below-zero weather here. Spray all the gas you want on your hot motor and pipes; unless there is a spark or flame it'll never start on fire.
My Dad turned 92 last Wednesday, BTW.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

+ 1 on the Meguiars cleaner/wax. If that doesn't satisfy, try the Black Box by Turtlewax. It's a 3 step process of cleaning and waxing. Good stuff for vivid black.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I deliver gasoline to stations for a living and we have training before working on our own and have mandatory safety meetings to discuss safety issues. Never heard of gasoline igniting without a spark or flame. Heat alone won't do it. I will however bring up the issue next meeting and report any changes to this response. Be concerned about static electricity and cell phone usage. If you have gasoline on exterior of your bike, you don't want some asswipe jump starting their vehicle next to you. Push your bike outta there. Dumb things occur at fueling stations, watch out for yourself. Don't take it for granted the equipment is in proper operating condition. That gear is used constantly and will wear out. People will put the pump handle away with the handle locked back for kicks.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 04-26-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never had gas harm the paint on my tank, thats probably why i dont get it...but when gas gets on my tank i do get one of those paper towels at the pumps and dry the gas off the tank, then move on down the road..no harm ever, but make sure there is no grime to scratch the tank.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i almost always drip on my gas tank.

especially frustrating is when i spend half an hour before leaving for a ride wiping the bike down, then go gas up and the first thing that happens is i get a drop or two on my paint.

if it's just a drop i lick my finger, rub the spot off, and shine it up with my cotton t shirt.

if it's more i try to find a clean rag from the shop to wipe with.

usually thought i'm riding with my dad and he carries a bottle of quick detailer and some microfibers in his saddle bag so i'm good as new and on my way in 10 seconds.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
3thumbs
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks, but I did a worse bobo, dumbhead move, on spilling, I reach for a microfiber cloth that I keep just for this. As I did, I left the nozzle in the tank. What happened. the dang nozzle fell and chipped my tank. Man I stomped around, people where lookin at me like I was nuts. Never forget it, I was on the final legs of a long trip in Fort Dodge KS. It can be worse,

Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Use your cap as a cup...

Whenever I fill the bike, I take the cap off first (duh!), then use it as a cup and travel with the fuel nozzle to and from the pump. This will catch the drippings when your done pumping.

We all have our little habits to keep our beloved Hogs untarnished. This is a great forum!

Dex

Quick Reply: Gas on the tank!