Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas on the tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure most everyone will have this happen to them sometime. Had it happen to my UC last fall. Got a couple of ounces of gas on one side of the tank. Wiped it off as best as I could and was just glad the bike didn't start on fire it any fumes and/or gas got on something hot. Another good reason not to be sitting on the bike when you fuel up.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
bikermama
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was filling my bike up the other day and spilled a little gas on my tank,mine is black denim, I just wiped it off with a wet soft cloth and used windex when I got home, worked like a charm, love that black denim paint.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
paguy
Road Captain

The cloudiness may be wax that was previously on. Before use of any kind of compound try working a good wax, cleaner in. I've been useing Harley glaze for years and carry a couple micro fibers in my bag. Litely dry up a spill and work some glaze on when I return home.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
The rag and gas station hand soap probably hurt it more than the gas did.
Agreed; that hand soap is pretty harsh stuff. I would have only rinsed it (station probably sells bottled water, or wiped off the tank, then waxed it when I got home.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 04-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 338LapuaMagnum
Interesting. I basically hosed down my bike today with 91 octane. I put my card in, did what it said, lifted the handle, selected 91, started moving the handle to the open fuel port and the damn thing just started spraying. I was a mad mother f***er. I wiped it down with a micro fiber rag and it looks ok other than the wax is gone in the spots it got hit and the insert in the console of my SG seemed like the adhesive was loose. I figure it will be ok. I'm gonna wax the tank when it cools off a little and hopefully the glue will still be good once all the fuel has evaporated. I don't know how it happened. The trigger wasn't pulled and I wasn't even touching the trigger. Freak accident I guess, but I was pissed.
I did the same thing except the "clicker" was pinned on. Spider cracked a brand new KW Flare windshield and my fairing wind deflectors. I also was mad as HE!!. Told the guy I wasn't paying for the $2 worth of gas I just douched my scoot with. He told me "Too bad, you already have because you used a debit card". I replyed "You're damn lucky I'm a level headed dude or I'd jump over thath counter and whoop your a$$." Called my insurance man AND an attorney and was told if it wasn't a pump malfunction I was S O L. If it was indeed a pump malfunction (the clicker wasn't pinned on) then the gas station would have been liable for the cost of replacement.

ALWAYS CHECK THE CLICKER!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax... it's wonderful for issues such as this...

Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not use rubbing compound it is very abrasive. maybe a polishing compound.
but even that as a last resort. Rubbing compound can go clear through the paint.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
09sungloflhx
Cruiser

our gas stations here have no clicker they are not allowed at any self serve gas station i guess its not such a bad thing either i always try to be careful but **** happens i guess

Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09sungloflhx
our gas stations here have no clicker they are not allowed at any self serve gas station i guess its not such a bad thing either i always try to be careful but **** happens i guess
That's what I told the smarta$$ attendent. "If you're gonna have pre-pay, then get rid off the damn clickers!!! People pay, peg the clicker, pump their 10 or 20 bucks, the pump shuts off automatically, and then they put the nozzle back with the stupid thing still on! Just sets the next poor sap up for a disaster. That day, the "poor sap" just happened to be me .

Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

.....this post should be mandatory reading to all those who were saying that they sit on their bikes while fueling in that other thread.....

Quick Reply: Gas on the tank!